What scanner do you suggest I buy?

Reaction score
It seems that I am going to have to buy a new scanner, as my older printer/scanner unit is ostensibly broken. I'm looking for a standalone scanner that is reasonably priced and can scan quickly and at high resolution.

From your experience, what would you suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Epson got good scores for standalone not sure since most testing done by
the computer mags involve all in ones in the last year or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hi from hugh ... bad luck with that previous unit. Very frustrating for you.

Does this site help you decide? Mac scanner reviews - current
Looks like Epson probably wins most points overall.

I've used Epson scanners, and seldom had much bother with them. Most were basic home use ones, nothing in the high-resolution class. I wish Agfa had stayed with flatbed scanners for Mac, they were very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Depending on your location, BestBuy sells a decent Epson scanner for $99.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi from hugh ... bad luck with that previous unit. Very frustrating for you.

Does this site help you decide? Mac scanner reviews - current
Looks like Epson probably wins most points overall.

I've used Epson scanners, and seldom had much bother with them. Most were basic home use ones, nothing in the high-resolution class. I wish Agfa had stayed with flatbed scanners for Mac, they were very good.

Thanks for the link, Hugh. I have been looking at Epson scanners, and I think that I will probably go for the Perfection V300. It seems to get very good reviews, and it's quite cheap. I think this may be the one Ian mentioned.

There isn't a Best Buy too near me, but when I get into that area next I think I will stop by and pick this up :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I've bought the Perfection V300, and I must say that I'm quite pleased with it thus far; it makes a bit of a high-pitched hum while scanning, which annoys slightly, but it scans fairly quickly and can do quite a bit in the way of enhancement and such.

I think that I will be glad that I bought this :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Thanks Muenster for keeping us posted on progress - here's hoping for many, many hours of use from that Epson.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Well, I've bought the Perfection V300, and I must say that I'm quite pleased with it thus far; it makes a bit of a high-pitched hum while scanning, which annoys slightly, but it scans fairly quickly and can do quite a bit in the way of enhancement and such.

I think that I will be glad that I bought this :)

Hi Muenster, yes I believe that was the model. Unfortunately, they all make that high pitch hum as the scanner works its way across the flatbed, some are noiser than others but if the quality is on par, noise is secondary. Maybe even tertiary. :) I picked up the Canon MF4350d which is a multifunction laser printer, was on sale for $150 and I really love the machine. There are a couple minor things that bug me but for the price and quality I'm quite happy.

Congrats on your new purchase. New toys are always fun! :)

r/
-Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.