Desktop Background won't retain

Reaction score
I have had my mini mac for over a year now, but of late I can't get the Desktop Background to retain. I can change the background picture and this works, but when I shut down or log off and log back on again the background has reverted back. I have tried moving the desktop.plist to the trash but this has no effect. The only way I can seem to get the new background to retain is to turn the mac off with out logging out or shutting down. Any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Hmm, weird. Did you by any chance install any kind of desktop switching application? For example, there is a program called Earth Desktop or something similar which runs in the background all the time, even if you don't have the earth displayed on your desktop. It can cause problems with retaining your desktop settings. Check to make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary running at startup. You can look in System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items or in /Library/StartupItems. Try moving things out of either location and rebooting to see if it fixes the problem.
If not..

If you don't have Onyx, download it now. Go to the cleaning tab and click on the subtab User. Deselect everything but Desktop Background and click Execute. This will clear the cache for your Desktop, which may or may not help. Other than this, I am out of ideas.

OP
B
Reaction score
Forgotten I'd installed Earth Desktop ages ago. Deleted this from the system and hey presto! the backgrounds retain. Thanks Very Much....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.