File Transfer Speed Issue

Reaction score
I used to live with my parents and my set up there was my iMac had a wired connection to the router then I used to create a wireless network with my iMac to my MacBook Pro.

When I transfered files or used ChronoSync it only took a few moments, but now I have moved into my own place the set up is a wireless router in between both computers and I have no way of making either of them wired.

I have since noticed my file transfer speed is ALOT slower than it used to be and I can no longer stream videos and ChronoSync is pretty much out of the question, I have to take my MacBook to my iMac and connect them to each other which is a bit of a hassle.

Is this because the router I am using is 802.11g and obviously before when I was using my iMac as a router it was 802.11n?

If so would buying a 802.11n router fix this speed issue? Or does the problem lie elsewhere.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.