Mac Memory And Pc Memory

M

macownersoon

i am getting a mac mini as soon as i get the money but i was wondering if you can put mc memory in a mac i have the same speed memory

OP
J

jbsengineer

theoretically, :). i think alot of ram makers say they dont garuntee it. but yes it will if it's ddr and the required speed....

off the top of my head i think the mini takes pc2700 333... could be wrong. i'm going to go check right now!

josh

OP
M

macownersoon

i was also wondering if you can put an nvidia grpahics card in instead of the whatever thing it has stock i have a 256 mb nvidia graphics card plus i have the memory already

OP
E

etorres769

jbsengineer said:
theoretically, :). i think alot of ram makers say they dont garuntee it. but yes it will if it's ddr and the required speed....

off the top of my head i think the mini takes pc2700 333... could be wrong. i'm going to go check right now!

josh

You're right, I just learned that ;) . I bought the wrong stick of 512MB ram for my PC a while back, i'm getting the Mac Mini, and now I can put that ram to use. :teen:

Reaction score
I'm confused. Do some of you guys read before you post? Do some of you even attempt to use google with keywords like "mini mac memory"? If you did you'd get in the first page of results, the answer to EVERY question on this page.

I'm sorry to be *****y about this. But honestly. If you are going to crack open a mac mini, you'll need to find out how right? Well there you go. You'll have to search to find out how to open it. Why not look for the other answers while you're at it?

What are you guys planning on doing? Getting a butter knife and going to town on your mini? My favorite one.... Can I stick in an nvidia graphics card?

Dude, have you even SEEN the size of the mini? OMG...the ... dullards here is staggering. Please, keep using your PC's. I know its snobby and elietist to say, but ****.... none of you have bothered to do ANY research.

So let me clue you in on what I know from doing 4 mini's. Kingston memory WILL NOT WORK. It will go in and boot, but it makes it buggy. Corsair makes the memory for Apple. I bought 4 sticks and all 4 work perfectly. Theres a link on someones website if you google it.

Lastly that this bit of advice seriously. Get 2 THIN 6" putty knives. They're more expensive, but you can return them after you're done. Use both putty knives at the same time. Using one just makes it harder. Using both, insert both at the same time and rotate from the rear and rotate them down and into the crack at the same time. Then pry apart and the mini will literally POP up.

Good luck.
Bishop

OP
Y

yicng

Well I did upgrade my ram yesterday with the Kingston's ram which is on sale this week. HTH...

OP
K

kabwon

bishop, you are very insensitive and i think you should go sit down and think of what a twat you actually are.

your ram should work although apple pc's are very fussy about what hardware you put in it, i have some no name 512mb ddr 333 dimm in my imac g5 along with the 256 that came with it, my mac is running like a dream.

so what the ol' bishop said could be true regarding you kengsinton ram, give it a bash and see. lemme kno how it runs.

ped

Reaction score
macownersoon said:
i am getting a mac mini as soon as i get the money but i was wondering if you can put mc memory in a mac i have the same speed memory

I got a Corsair 512MB stick of PC3200 and it's working fine in my Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz.

Reaction score
Insensitive? OMG. Don't talk to me about anything until we clear up guys like the n00b who asked if he could stick a 256 nvidia card in a mac mini. That card is bigger than the whole computer!

I'm sorry but you gotta admit...all these guys coming here and just blabbing...OMG.

"How many ram sticks can i cram in the mac mini?"
"can i upgrade the video card?"
"where's the pci slot?"
"can i add a 2nd video card?"
"can I make my mini a virtual girlfriend?"

Dude, everywhere I've gone, and even here, I've had tell people tell me, search before asking. Every forum. Its not that these guys are asking questions. That's fine. What gets me is this. It's a mini. These guys KNOW that it's small, and they have to know just how small it is. SO they know this, but STILL ask lame questions. Everywhere you go, you cant help but find out from even just a quick scan that there's ONE memory slot.

**** people. Come on. Show some smarts.

Reaction score
macownersoon said:

The short answer to your question is YES, you can use memory that works in a Pc in a Mac. Like most things usually it will work, but not always...the Mac is picky about what it likes, but as long as it is decent ram and the proper type it will probably work.

Brand name usually means one thing, the company is saying my product will meet or beat a certain set of standards, however, sometimes off brands will beat them in actual use, but not always, and sometimes the so called off brands will be acutally a brand name that they sold off under a different name because of over supply... so you take your chances using the cheaper off brand stuff...

OP
K

kabwon

bishop - fair enough, although i dont think this forum is the place to flame or just have this conversation in. If the threads annoy you, simpky just dont reply. infact it could very well just save you time.

not everyone knows a whole lot about computers and people that are first time mac users especially. i also always say : google first and then forums. although google on many occasions takes you to a forum post.

anyway, who cares anyway?

Reaction score
Look, its not that I have anything personally against them. If I email them, then they take it personal. And its not so much on any other mac, but its more the mini. It came to a head when people started asking to replace the video card, and how many memory sticks can be crammed in...

This is the mini people. Theres NOTHING to upgrade but the memory. And heres my beef. If they dont know THAT, then they have no business taking 2 putty knives and prying it apart. they're bound to screw it up.

6 out

OP
G

gdestiny

what bishop is saying is true, but the way he said could've been toned down a bit. sometimes people don't google first and they simply ask in the forums for an answer. and i think if that offends you in some way, then don't reply to the thread.

OP
E

Echo_

whats this forum for ??? to look pretty... while i agree its nice when people do some research these forums are here for a reason...

OP
M

macownersoon

i was also wondering if anybody here has star wars knights of the old republic 1 and a mac mini could you tell me how it runs please

Reaction score
I took a 512mb stick of PC3200 right out of my PC and put it in my mini to replace the 256mb PC3200 stick, it worked. I don't know why Apple puts PC3200 in there when it only runs at PC2700 speeds.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
mynameis said:
I don't know why Apple puts PC3200 in there when it only runs at PC2700 speeds.

Cost.

Amen-Moses

OP
G

gdestiny

mynameis said:
I have noticed that PC3200 sometimes sells for more than PC2700, Why is that?

Er, because PC3200 (DDR400) is FASTER than PC2700 (DDR333)? but if it's the OTHER WAY around (PC2700 > PC3200) then it be related to the CAS speed. Most modules are CAS2.5, but there are some CAS2.0 or lower for gaming / overclocking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.