"Printer is Offline" Error w/ HP Laserjet 4200

Reaction score
I keep getting the "printer is offline" message when the printer is on and ready to print. I'm using an HP laserjet 4200N with an iMac. Could this be a driver issue? I downloaded the driver from the HP site but I have no idea where it's located on my computer so I can tell my computer to use it. Can someone help me?
Thanks
Tuan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Have you deleted it and re-added it to the printer queue?

You shouldn't need a new driver from HP, OS X comes with a vast collection of HP Print Drivers - I believe the 4200N is included.

If not, delete the printer from Print & Fax Preferences and use the installer from HP.

OP
T
Reaction score
Have you deleted it and re-added it to the printer queue?

You shouldn't need a new driver from HP, OS X comes with a vast collection of HP Print Drivers - I believe the 4200N is included.

If not, delete the printer from Print & Fax Preferences and use the installer from HP.

Thanks for your feedback.
My computer shows a driver for 4200 series but not specifically 4200N. I selected 4200 series driver but that didn't work for me. When you say "use the installer" from HP, do you mean the installer application with a .dmg extension or the driver software that is contained in the installer? I have no idea where to go to grab the driver software after I installed it on my computer. I'm able to specify the driver to be installed in my hard drive but after installation I don't see it.
Also I don't quite know what exactly to do with the driver software if I find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your feedback.
My computer shows a driver for 4200 series but not specifically 4200N. I selected 4200 series driver but that didn't work for me.

The "N" denotes it's a networkable printer with an ethernet connection on the back. I looked up the specs on the 4200N and there is a parallel connection (not usable with the Mac) and an ethernet connection. I imagine then it is plugged into your router. The next thing to do would be to check your printer's IP address and make sure it's on the same subnet as your computer. (ie: 10.0.1.x)

When you say "use the installer" from HP, do you mean the installer application with a .dmg extension or the driver software that is contained in the installer? I have no idea where to go to grab the driver software after I installed it on my computer.

Yes, the installer within the disk image (DMG). It will automatically place the print drivers in the OS X Library, so when you go to add a printer it will be available in the printer selection. It might only show up as 4200, that is why you won't see 4200N. It should "find' your printer on the network but only if the printer has an IP address on the same subnet. You should be able to print a configuration page by holding down the green "ready" button on the printer's control panel for at least 5 to 10 seconds. When you release, it should shoot out a config page. Post the IP address here, along with the IP address of your Mac (found in System Preferences > Network)

OP
T
Reaction score
The "N" denotes it's a networkable printer with an ethernet connection on the back. I looked up the specs on the 4200N and there is a parallel connection (not usable with the Mac) and an ethernet connection. I imagine then it is plugged into your router. The next thing to do would be to check your printer's IP address and make sure it's on the same subnet as your computer. (ie: 10.0.1.x)

Yes, the installer within the disk image (DMG). It will automatically place the print drivers in the OS X Library, so when you go to add a printer it will be available in the printer selection. It might only show up as 4200, that is why you won't see 4200N. It should "find' your printer on the network but only if the printer has an IP address on the same subnet. You should be able to print a configuration page by holding down the green "ready" button on the printer's control panel for at least 5 to 10 seconds. When you release, it should shoot out a config page. Post the IP address here, along with the IP address of your Mac (found in System Preferences > Network)

Actually my printer is currently connected to my iMac via parallel to usb cable. You are saying that doesn't work for mac? But it did print for that one first time I tried but after that I got the "printer is offline" error. Before I tried the cable connection, I did try ethernet network approach. I bought a network cable and connected my laserjet to the router that is connected to another computer. I did a print configuration and got the IP address which I typed in the Address field of my print and fax preferences window. My question is what do I select for the "Print Using" drop down menu?
Thanks so much again for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sitting at a Mac right now but if I remember correctly, the "Print Using" drop down menu is to select the print driver. In this case select the LaserJet 4200.

When it's added, go to http://localhost:631 and try to print a test page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.