Is a wireless printer setup possible?

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Ellen. I've owned Macs for over 10 years, I love them, but I am not too ashamed to admit that I suck at computer stuff. My dream for the new year is to replace my now defunct printer with a wireless setup so I can move my printer out of my living room and into the downstairs out of the way. The place I want to put the printer is directly below the computer desk upstairs. There is only a kitchen floor in the room with the computer with no carpet for the signal to go through. The basement room below has no solid ceiling, just boards supported by large beams. I am considering buying a Canon Pixma MX850 with the extra Bluetooth adaptor. My computer is a 2.66 Intel Core 2 desktop iMac and am running Mac OS 10.5.6. I know very little about computers and nothing about wireless networks. Could you please tell me if my dream is even possible with this printer? Or I should give up my new years dream and buy a cheaper printer without wireless capability.

(After piling through all the Canon info, Macworld reviews and Cnet reviews I am still clueless if the wireless will work through the floor. I really appreciate your best guess, your time and your expertise.) Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
A bluetooth wireless printer might not work in your situation. A better solution would be to get an actual wireless ethernet printer, which will give you greater range. There is no adapter for the printer, they're marketed as wireless printers. Pretty much all the major printer manufacturers make them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
That is correct, bluetooth probably wouldn't work at that distance. You could go with ethernet printer as IanCT says. That would require plugging the printer into your router, so that would have to be by the printer somewhere. I believe there are other printers that have built in WiFi so they don't need to be by the router. I currently use a Brother MFC-5840cn. It plugs into my router via ethernet cable and I print from my MacBook Pro, Windows desktop and windows laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Currently using a c6380 HP has the wi-fi/ethernet plugged into my router
I can be anywhere in my house or yard and it works great.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for all your replies. I will definitely look into the wi fi printer and at the other set ups you mentioned. All I wanted was the printer out of my living room, and with all your help I'm on the road to getting there. Thanks a bunch :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.