Samsung laser printer issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi,

I purchased a samsung CPL 315 laser printer today and I'm having problems getting the smart panel software to work that came with it. The printer works fine but the smart panel software just won't work, so I have no way of knowing my ink levels. As far as I'm aware the software installed with the drivers. When the software was installed it created a alias in the apps folder. When I click on it it does nothing. I right click on it and choose open original to find the actual software folder but by clicking on the original smart panel app it still does nothing? I have downloaded the latest drivers and software from the samsung site but smart panel still doesn't work. The printer is connected by USB 2.0.

Has anybody got a samsung printer and had this problem? Or has anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have the CLP 300 and haven't had any issues with Smart Panel so far (expect it was almost impossible to uninstall when I tried once).

I'd reinstall the Smart Panel application separately from the drive CD if you can. Then try rebooting, it adds some weird stuff to one of the launchdemons if I remember correctly...

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
I have the CLP 300 and haven't had any issues with Smart Panel so far (expect it was almost impossible to uninstall when I tried once).

I'd reinstall the Smart Panel application separately from the drive CD if you can. Then try rebooting, it adds some weird stuff to one of the launchdemons if I remember correctly...

Yeah installed from cd first then downloaded latest version from samsung site then reinstalled. Still no good tho. Program just doesn't do anything.

Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same problem. Just got a Samsung ML 2850. Same thing you describe with the Smart Panel app. If I find a solution I'll let you know. Whole point of buying this printer was to use features like toner saving which I can't access. Good luck!

Reaction score
Problem solved

When you hook up your printer your Mac automatically uses a generic driver.
What you need is the correct Samsung driver.

Go to System Preferences > Print&Fax > Options&Supplies > Driver. Then select 'Select a driver to use' in the dropdown menu. Then select the appropriate Samsung driver.

Smart Panel etc. starts working.

Worked for me anyway.

Cheers.

Reaction score
None of the above worked for my Samsung CLX-3175FN

Tried all of the above, + downloaded the latest versions of the software (smart panel, printer and scan drivers). Smart Panel icon/application non-functional. I like Smart Panel for ink levels and the ability to tell the printer I want to use card stock, etc. If anyone has an alternative to Smart Panel (or a fix for Smart Panel), I'm all ears. I had these capabilities when the printer was hooked to my Windows XP machine. Current OS is Snow Leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll likely need to wait for Samsung to update their software for SL.

Reaction score
The Samsung software I mentioned above (drivers, Smart Panel) are for Mac OS 10.6

The Samsung software I mentioned above (drivers, Smart Panel) are for Mac OS 10.6

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have that Samsung printer working fine under Snow Leopard 10.6.1, but not using the official Samsung drivers. I configured it as a new printer, using IPP protocol and the generic Samsung 3170 Series driver which comes with Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.