Imac g5 lines across screen

Reaction score
HI All,
I have a imac g5(the last gen before the intel ones)
I know imac had a recall on imac g5's but mine wasnt part of that recall.
Anyways, when it happens there are lines across the screen, then she freezes up. This is oftehn said to be video card or logic board, but here's the kicker....after a while the computer will work perfectly.Like it will do that for a about 2 weeks then all of a sudden she works fine for another 4, then it starts again....any ideas...i would think a logic board failure or video card would be a permanent thing...

any ideas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Video cards can be intermittent just as with any other electronic device or component. I suspect it is your video card, however, the card (chipset) is soldered on to the main board which would have to be changed out as one unit. Most likely your G5 is not covered by Apple care which means a rather expensive repair unless you can do it yourself.

iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.