Macbook pro and ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Friday, I am ordering my new 15.4" Macbook pro from amazon. I am getting the lowest model(I would very much prefer a 13" macbook, but I need firewire for my camcorder). Anyway, after lots of online research, I see that there are some gumblings about the new aluminum becoming unstable with 3rd party ram. My last mac, i upgraded using ram from crucial, but that was a while back. Has anyone had any trouble with 3rd party ram in their macbooks? Especially the pro?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Friday, I am ordering my new 15.4" Macbook pro from amazon. I am getting the lowest model(I would very much prefer a 13" macbook, but I need firewire for my camcorder). Anyway, after lots of online research, I see that there are some gumblings about the new aluminum becoming unstable with 3rd party ram. My last mac, i upgraded using ram from crucial, but that was a while back. Has anyone had any trouble with 3rd party ram in their macbooks? Especially the pro?

First off apple doesn't make their own ram. They use third party RAM from Samsung, Micron etc.

Just get your ram from crucial because they make it easy to find the ram that you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I've upgraded my MBP Alu from 2GB to 4GB via Crucial with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like Crimson said, all RAM is third party. Just make sure you stick with a good brand and you can avoid the troubles that come with low quality modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM
I upgraded using OWC RAM and have had no trouble for a month. The unibody design makes accessing the RAM so easy even a newbie like myself can do it in 15 minutes....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.