how can you tell if your router is filtering macs?

Reaction score
My ibook is connecting but the internet won't connect. I'm using my neighbors (she let me) but its not connecting. Is there a specific router I need to get. (Someone said something about a Wireless G router?) And how do you tell if your router is filtering Macs? Ahhh. I need some help! Do I dare call the internet company and ask or will they not have an answer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is it that your neighbor is allowing you to use? Does she have a wireless router setup? Are you connecting to her wireless signal? Obviously you can't be using a CAT-5 cable over that long a distance. I'll assume your connecting via wireless....

Since your neighbor is allowing you to use her wireless signal, ask her if she's using any kind of encryption. In other words, do you need a password to access the router's signal? Do you know the name of her network and can you see the same name in your System Preferences, Network, Airport settings?

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
What is it that your neighbor is allowing you to use? Does she have a wireless router setup? Are you connecting to her wireless signal? Obviously you can't be using a CAT-5 cable over that long a distance. I'll assume your connecting via wireless....

Since your neighbor is allowing you to use her wireless signal, ask her if she's using any kind of encryption. In other words, do you need a password to access the router's signal? Do you know the name of her network and can you see the same name in your System Preferences, Network, Airport settings?

Regards.

Yeah, she uses a password but I know what it is, she told me. And yes I see it in airport settings. It says something about an ip address and it has a yellow dot by it, not green or red. Ughh. Any idea what that ip address thing could be about?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Open System Preferences, Network. Select Airport (highlight it) and click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the page. Next, click the Airport tab at the top menu and make sure you have the name of her network showing and the correct type of encryption selected. (WEP, WPA, WPA2) Of course use the password she gave you. Passwords are case sensitive.

Next, click on the TCP/IP tab on the top menu. In the box that says: Configure IPv4 make sure you select "Using DHCP". Click on OK. Close System Preferences and reboot your machine. If everything else is OK, you should be able to connect and get on the net.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.