Internal USB port (for use with bluetooth)

R

Rooprect

Are the rumors true?
I've read in multiple sources that the new iBook has an "internal" USB port with enough real estate to fit a Bluetooth adapter.

This would be nice. (considering I did not have the factory install bluetooth for me)

Apparently this "rumored" USB port is on the board, and not simply accessed by lifting up the keyboard.

Anyone have any info, proof, or experience?

If this internal USB is a hoax has anyone had any luck installing an internal bluetooth module.

Many Thanks,
Roo

OP
S

sebeck

Rooprect said:
Thanks mac man.
A device sticking out of the side of my computer is something I have now. Any folks have any luck putting a BT inside their ibooks?

I'd also be interested to learn more about this. Bump for you. :)

Reaction score
Internal bluetooth

Have a new 12" iBook G4 w/BT coming tomorrow. Going to drop an 80gb in it so I'll look for the BT adapter and where its plugged into. Will post photos if allowed.

ed724

OP
R

Rooprect

Rooprect said:
Are the rumors true?
I've read in multiple sources that the new iBook has an "internal" USB port with enough real estate to fit a Bluetooth adapter.

This would be nice. (considering I did not have the factory install bluetooth for me)

Apparently this "rumored" USB port is on the board.
Anyone have any info, proof, or experience?
If this internal USB is a hoax has anyone had any luck installing an internal bluetooth module.

Many Thanks,
Roo

To the guy putting in a new hardrive....Thanks. Although I can tell you that the factory installed bluetooth is not simply an off the shelf plug in. Let us know what you find. And let us know how your hard drive install goes.

Reaction score
Got the 80gb in no sweat. Gotta tell ya. Apple has really re-engineered this thing. Its so easy to take apart compared to the G3 ibook. SWEET. Anyway, the BT adapter is right under the r/h forward corner of the trackpad. It has 4 wires coming out of it that plug into its own connector on the MB. The antenna is just below the "home-pgdn-end" keys. I have a USB BT adapter and looking at it, I would say with a little tweaking you can make it fit in the same space.

ed724

BTmodule.jpg

connector.jpg

OP
R

Rooprect

Ed:
Your pictures are money. Nice work. I'm guessing that that slot would be just empty on a new G4 purchased recently. I appreciate the info.
I'll have to find a nice small blue tooth adapter.....and run some wires to the empty white slot. Very cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
are you interested in the 3 year old, now EOL'd powerPC line or a current macbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.