User accounts?

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I think I'm in the right forum for this!
Someone suggested that I should make another account and not do anything in the Admin account. Would anyone else back this suggestion up?
I'm very new to Macs so any help would be great!

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
depends on how secure you want to be. I run as admin, but you can set up standard accounts if you don't want users messing with the system

If you are going to run as standard, create a new Admin account, then demote yourself to a standard user, that way you will not have to move all your files. As a standard user you can still install updates and programs, you will just have to use the Admin username and password to do it.

Bear in mind that an OSX Admin account is not the same as aWindows Adminstrator account. OS Xs admin users are more restricted (and more secure) than Windows admin. The equivalent to a Windows admin account on OS X is the root user, which is disabled by default on OSX to make the Mac harder to hack and infect

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.