Gimp Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I've been running an iMac for a little over a year now and I'm running the latest version of Leopard. The applications I'm running have been simple to install but I've recently downloaded Gimp. I've searched for help with this but haven't been able to find info I really understand. The version of Gimp I'm running has no local help files. In preferences, in the help options, it shows that the user manual is not installed locally. I found where another member asked a similar question on the forum and received an answer but I don't understand the tarball thing or X11 very well. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. If I need to uninstall and install another version, it won't be a problem but I think I have the latest version for OS X.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what's the problem you're running into with gimp? FWIW tarballs are just another method of combining a bunch of files into a single file, useful for transmitting them or (really what it was first designed for) Tape ARchiving.

OP
Doug in Alaska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I'm not really experiencing problems but it would be really nice to have local access to the the help section without having to access it on the web.

Reaction score
I too am trying to get the help files for GIMP installed with no success.
Anyone out there have any suggestions, or installation guide on how to get the help files properly installed?

Reaction score
After downloading and installing the Help files, I had to do something before I could access them locally in GIMP via F1 or the Help menu, it didn't just work immediately. (Checked Preferences, Help System just now and it doesn't seem to be there.) I guess it has to do with GIMP knowing where the files are. Maybe uninstalling and trying again, eventually you'll get it. It might have been some tidbit I picked up from a Google search that got it working for me. Sorry I can't remember the details, maybe somebody else does.

Reaction score
I prefer Photoshop, but I had an okay time running GimpShop in Parallels. I was in a pinch, away from my own computer, and somebody kindly loaned me a system with Parallels and let me install GimpShop real quick. That was at least a year ago.

Reaction score
gimp download

i've already downloaded X11 and gimp, but when I open gimp it just fills up the whole screen and restricts me from doing anything except exiting from the program. It is ultramagnified and I am unable to use. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 iMac 2.93, Late 08 uMBP 2.53 -320
There are two versions of GIMP - one for Leopard and one for Snow Leopard do you have the right one installed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.