• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wii, Xbox, or PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
For anyone that plays games on a console, what is your favourite and why?

I'll start: I have a Wii and it satisfies all of my gaming needs. I usually only play when friends or family are over, so its perfect for me. But I know that lots of people like PS3's or 360's, so post away:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i have a 360 which does everything that i need it to do... i like the xbox live service and the peripheral connections are very decent, game wise microsoft have a good number of xbox exclusives such as halo 3 or Fable 2, all in all a very good console.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Yes, the Xbox does have many more games the wii. That is one of the few complaints I would have about it:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I have a wii and an xbox 360. I like both but I prefer the xbox because of more games and for the most part better quality on it. I like the wii because how much fun the simple things can be with it. But then again I love playing online so that one goes towards xbox.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Most people I know have an Xbox360 & a Wii and or PS3 & a Wii. Xbox definately has a large gaming selection while the PS3 is pretty sparse. However the PS3 does have a slightly better Graphics card than the Xbox. To some gamers that pretty much makes or breaks the deal on what system to get.

I don't do much gaming anymore because of school, but I do have all three.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
I own all three and I find the Wii is great for the kids. For my gaming I use both the PS3 and the Xbox 360. For me the Xbox 360 wins hands down with regards to its seamless online integration. Yup I know the PS3 also plays online games but the whole online gaming/communication side of things seems too complicated and fragmented on the PS3. Oh, and alot of the PS3 fanboys sing the praises with the fact that the PS3 is free to use online and that Xbox Live costs the annual subscription. I prefer paying for the Live subscription and get a better quality of online use/seervice than with the PS3.
At the end of the day both consoles (PS3 and Xbox 360) are pretty much neck and neck. If the games are cross platform then I will get the Xbox 360 version because of the online quality, if it invloves multiplayer. If the game is supported by the one console ie. MGS4 (PS3) or Forza 2(Xbox 360) then I will get that game for that particular console. Whatever you are gonna get im sure you will have lots of fun with it. Its all about having fun at the end of the day.

Enjoy ;D

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I just have a PS3, I couldn't deal with the Wii but I like playing at my brothers house sometimes. I bought an xbox but couldn't deal with the amount of noise it made and got rid of it after a month. The PS3 fits my needs, it has a 320GB HDD in it and I use it as I would AppleTV. Online is free and it is well made. Also in Japan, Xbox has almost no support and the PS3 is the big boy here. It is a shame as I loved the Xbox, I spent over 200 hours playing Project Gotham racing 2.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if i had the disposable income and space for them, i'd have all three.

that said, i currently have a PS3, PS2 and nintendo DS.

i've mainly stuck with the playstation due to history (owning a 1 and 2) and the exclusives - mainly gran turismo. and i do really, really like the playstation controller.

i guess a last minimal reason i would prefer not to get an xbox would be to try not to support microsoft and not have to play them a fee to game online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
PS3 I think.

I've owned a Wii and I own a 360 now. The Wii just wasn't for me because I like to game, not flail my arms around for 20 minutes doing some repetitive task.

My 360 keeps freezing and i'm going to need to send it in for warranty once the RROD happens (I know it will) and that'll take god knows how long.

PS3 since my friend has it and its pretty much the same as the Xbox but with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually for family fun I will say the Wii. For 2 reasons.

1. There is a good number of mostly single player games to sink your teeth into. Zelda:TP, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy just 3 examples.

2. And there is a lot of other games oriented at quick family fun. And the virtual console is not to be scoffed at too. Yes for the old nintendo games. And in the new content there, the My Life As A King game is a different take on most of the RPG games we're used to. Well worth looking into.

And no you're not waving your arms around like a loony when playing a Wii. It's just a little nudge this way and that way. And if you're on a budget it's the cheapest of the 3 consoles. Just be wary that there might be a Wii Mark 2 comming out soon. It's just a bigger hard drive inside I think. Well worth it.

Sure the Wii is not Hi-Def like the PS3 but the games do liik pretty sweet on it and that's my recommendation for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I got a 360, it has a ton of games I like plus all my friends have it so online play is a ton of fun and very easy to use.

Had a Wii for about 5 months but never played it, just too few none party games and at the time online was nonexistent, not sure if they ever changed that.

I looked into getting a PS3 at one point, but I can't find enough games that made the $400 price tag worth it. Couple that with bluray not taking off the way Sony expected it and I passed over PS3. Oh, and I don't find the PS3 graphics to be all that much better then 360... if at all.

And if you're on a budget it's the cheapest of the 3 consoles.
Except for the $200 Xbox 360:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Had 2 Wii's 1 PS3 and still on my original XBOX360. I didnt see the sense in having the (THEN $600) console, so i sold it back when they were hard to get. Bought a WII when it came out, got bored of it sold it, Found another one cheap bought that a few months later, Sold it AGAIN, just couldnt get into the games. I miss the PS3, but the price keeps dropping, ill buy another one.

Still enjoy every second of my 360, Dont like the fact its a $100 Computer priced at $399 (now $199) and the fact its a Microsoft product. But i have no issues with it.

You can find the PS3 and 360 Used pretty cheap, everyone is trying to sell them and make a buck cause of the economy. Shop smart and youll come out in the end with a nice setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
I opted for the PS3 about a year ago and have been very happy with my decision ever since. I like the power and reliability of the system, all of the hardware features that come right in the box (wireless networking, BlueTooth, Blu-ray, etc.), the multimedia capabilities (for example, there is a hugely expanded Photo Album functionality in the latest update that I'm looking forward to digging into), some of the specific games (Gran Turismo), and so on. I have no complaints about the overall game selection, either - there are a bunch more titles with PS3 versions out there now than there used to be. I don't really do any multiplayer, so if there are any issues with the quality of that, I wouldn't know about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I have all 3 and hands down for me the XBOX 360 is my favorite. I love XBL and the achievement system and if any game is multi-platform, I always pick up the 360 version. Not to mention, Sony was late on getting games like BioShock and Lost Planet.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually for family fun I will say the Wii. For 2 reasons.

1. There is a good number of mostly single player games to sink your teeth into. Zelda:TP, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy just 3 examples.

2. And there is a lot of other games oriented at quick family fun. And the virtual console is not to be scoffed at too. Yes for the old nintendo games. And in the new content there, the My Life As A King game is a different take on most of the RPG games we're used to. Well worth looking into.

And no you're not waving your arms around like a loony when playing a Wii. It's just a little nudge this way and that way. And if you're on a budget it's the cheapest of the 3 consoles. Just be wary that there might be a Wii Mark 2 comming out soon. It's just a bigger hard drive inside I think. Well worth it.

Sure the Wii is not Hi-Def like the PS3 but the games do liik pretty sweet on it and that's my recommendation for you.

Very well said, I completely agree with you:)

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a 360, it has a ton of games I like plus all my friends have it so online play is a ton of fun and very easy to use.

Had a Wii for about 5 months but never played it, just too few none party games and at the time online was nonexistent, not sure if they ever changed that.

I looked into getting a PS3 at one point, but I can't find enough games that made the $400 price tag worth it. Couple that with bluray not taking off the way Sony expected it and I passed over PS3. Oh, and I don't find the PS3 graphics to be all that much better then 360... if at all.

Except for the $200 Xbox 360:Smirk:

All of the best games have online now, like CoD 5, mario kart, guitar hero, ect. Its very fun when your not a serious gamer:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Started with a 360, then stood in line for Wii at launch, the got a PS3 a year later and sold the 360. For me the PS3 is perfect, I don't do online games much at all and don't like paying for a service I'm not going to use.

I gave the Wii to my sister when I got bored with it, and the PS3 and PSP are my only systems now. Just feels and looks like a higher quality product than the 360 did, not to mention Blu Ray and the PSN video store (Second favourite after iTunes). Works for me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i have all 3 but i enjoy the 360 the most. good variety of games and the most violent in general.

i am actually going to be selling my wii and my ps3 - (60 gb) in about 2 weeks. $300.00 each take your pick. I just have to find a box for the ps 3 since i dont have the original box anymore.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We bought a Wii as a family gift this Christmas and it has proven to be very entertaining. In addition to the Wii Sports, which is a lot of fun, I've also gotten into Mario Kart Wii (without the gimmicky steering wheel, of course).

The Wii makes a great console, because the games are less focused on glitz and graphics and more on playability. I'd much rather play first person and 3D shooters on a PC, where I can actually control the game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.