• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wii, Xbox, or PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 16 GB iPhone 3G
x box 360 all the way!!! theres way more games for it than on the ps3! :Evil:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if number of games is your only criteria, you should have a PS2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I've got a 360, PS3 and a PC and I play my PC and PS3 the most! My 360 is gathering dust under my desk.

I play my NES more than that thing ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I had a Wii for a couple months last year, but I got bored with it very quickly and sold it. It does have fun multiplayer for sure, but there aren't enough good games for it. Lots of bad games, though, and a lot of mediocre ones.

The problem is that I'm a gamer, and I really like games, but the Wii is meant for non-gamers. Therefore, developers write Wii games to appeal to non-gamers. It might be fun for them but it's boring for me. So I ended up replacing my Wii with a 360 and I've been very happy with it ever since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I had an Xbox 360, and loved every minute of it. The game selection (for my tastes) was amazing. I'm mostly into shooters/action games. The graphics are stunning (espeially in HD with surround sound).

Xbox Live/marketplace made up for about 95% of my usage. Online multiplayer games, downloadable content (demos, videos, gamer pics, etc, etc). Xbox Live is a well-structured online community that actually works really, really well. Despite the fact it costs $60 for 13-months of service, it's worth every penny.

Unfortunately I sold it to pay for rent.

When I get enough cash to buy a next-gen console, I'm going with the PS3 so I can experience that. Mostly for Killzone2 (was a big fan of the first and Liberations for PSP). Not to mention some of the PS3-only games like Resistance 1/2. Fallout 3 is great on it too.

The Wii, I hate it, and would hope it died in a chemical fire. If you're into family-orientated/non-violent games (yes, I know there are some violent games for it), then go for this. I hate the motion sensors and the WiiMote/Nunchuck.. As intuitive as it is, I can't stand it. The last thing I want to do when I'm in a "session" is to stand up and wave my arms around like an idiot. I just want to sit down, chill out, and play some video games. That's just my opinion, hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other thing is that the Wii isn't even really that cheap because of how expensive the controllers and other accessories are. The games are $50 instead of $60, and the console is only $250, but the controllers are $60 for a remote plus nunchuck. And unlike the 360 and PS3, which emphasize online gaming, the Wii is all about local multiplayer, so you practically have to buy four controller sets for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I have a PS3 and a Wii.

I do most of my gaming on PS3(PSN- weezerfan, add me up). I rarely use the Wii...for the odd round of Mario Kart or Smash Brothers Brawl.

Reaction score
I have Wii. I'm a casual player. I don't have a lot of time to devote to it, and there are a lot of games that allow you to play as long as you want from 5 minutes to hours. It's more simple, and offers a variety of games. I love the interactive style of playing too.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
The other thing is that the Wii isn't even really that cheap because of how expensive the controllers and other accessories are. The games are $50 instead of $60, and the console is only $250, but the controllers are $60 for a remote plus nunchuck. And unlike the 360 and PS3, which emphasize online gaming, the Wii is all about local multiplayer, so you practically have to buy four controller sets for it.

OK, but take a look at your own controller's first. PS3's controller is 55$ and the 360's is 60$ for a wireless one. So really, its the same price as the other console's. And usually, you only need the nunchuck for one player games, at most you only need two. All 4 player games can be played with just the Wii remote. And if you have a friend with a Wii, you can bring over your nunchuck's and *poof* you have four:)

If you do it that way you actually save, because you only pay 45$ for the remaining two Wii remotes without the nunchucks:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, but take a look at your own controller's first. PS3's controller is 55$ and the 360's is 60$ for a wireless one.
Actually, a wireless 360 controller costs $50 from a store or $40 online. Don't know about the PS3 controller.

And usually, you only need the nunchuck for one player games, at most you only need two. All 4 player games can be played with just the Wii remote.

Actually that's wrong. A lot of the minigames in Rayman Raving Rabbids, one of the few Wii games I used to have, require both controller parts even as a four-player game. Also, you do know about Super Smash Bros. Brawl, right? That doesn't technically require both parts but it plays much better with a Nunchuck than without. Of course, you can also use a GameCube controller for that.

But you are right about one thing... the controllers are all close enough in price for it not to make a big difference. So I was wrong about that.

I still see less value in the Wii, though, not just because of the game library (which is full of bad games and short on good ones), but because it doesn't really have any other capabilities. At least the 360 and PS3 can act as media center devices to stream stuff from your computer or rent movies over the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Actually, a wireless 360 controller costs $50 from a store or $40 online. Don't know about the PS3 controller.

Actually that's wrong. A lot of the minigames in Rayman Raving Rabbids, one of the few Wii games I used to have, require both controller parts even as a four-player game. Also, you do know about Super Smash Bros. Brawl, right? That doesn't technically require both parts but it plays much better with a Nunchuck than without. Of course, you can also use a GameCube controller for that.

But you are right about one thing... the controllers are all close enough in price for it not to make a big difference. So I was wrong about that.

I still see less value in the Wii, though, not just because of the game library (which is full of bad games and short on good ones), but because it doesn't really have any other capabilities. At least the 360 and PS3 can act as media center devices to stream stuff from your computer or rent movies over the internet.

And history is repeating itself again in the sense that there is a lack of 3rd Party games for the Wii.

OP
blackmac11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

That's fair, but the wii still has the home menu, where you can view pictures, check the weather/news, download old classic games, and even surf the web. I'm not saying it's awesome and better than the other two, but it has some cool features. And *hopefully* the wii 2 will have a hard drive, which will make it similar to the other console's:)

ps. I checked the 360 controller and bestbuy.com, so I figured that you could probably buy it cheaper :eek:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
how do you view pics on the wii if there's no hard drive? are there media slots?

your post reminds me of how much i actually do use a lot of the ps3's capability. i'd say it's used for gaming and music equally, dvds next - it does make even standard dvds look fantastic, i use it for slideshows in the background at family get togethers and to let the kids see family photos, and i do use the web browser, "life with playstation" which is a combo of newsfeeds, weather, satellite map and folding at home, and have dabbled in "home" the mmo-social networking experiment they've got going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well just cause some people don't like the Wii library of games on the whole does not make them bad. It just says your not their greatest fan. Personally I think their library is pretty good. The odd dud one but mostly good games.

And the only think you need to know is for the Virtual Console you need to buy a classic controller ($30 is Aus) or have an old Gamebube controller.

Another thing is if you have a Gamecube controller and memory card you can play Gamecube games on it. So that whole set of games is available to you. And with many older (Pre Gamecube) Nintendo and Sega games for download, there is quite a lot of choice for you.

But I agree the Wii is not for those who want a crystal clear HD experience. You won't get it. What you will get is a machine that plays games that look really good still and you'll having to much fun to notice. Mind you I think some Wii games look better than some Xbox-360/PS3 games. It's not how powerful the machine is to me, it's how well the game developers utilise what machine they have to develop for. As you can't just tell your customers to upgrade.

And if you want to see a very unbiased opinion on what is better of the 3 watch this video here. Very funny, well worth it.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Console Rundown

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
how do you view pics on the wii if there's no hard drive? are there media slots?

Yes, there is an SD reader. Personally, the lack of a hard drive was one of the appealing factors for me. Less moving parts means less chance for failure. As long as there's plenty of flash, there's really no need for an HDD in my opinion.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i like the HD option, especially since it's got a backup utility.

i can keep a huge music library and photo library on there in addition to movies that i've rented or purchased from PSN, or videos i've added myself.

that's one of the reasons i swapped out my 40GB for a 320. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
This is a difficult decision to make and answering it is also hard without showing bias toward one or the other. It really depends on how much time you plan on dedicating for gaming. If its just the occasional weekend bit I'd say go with the Wii or 360 Arcade. Both are inexpensive and both have some good games. If you are an online addict (like myself) its down to the 360 or PS3.(360 online will cost you, but the PS3 online is free). If you are in need of the jump to Hi Def movie watching go with the PS3 because it does everything...but its expensive.
~~good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I think what is a part of the Wii greatest part and weakest part, is that Nintendo wants to have full control over what is released for their system. So that prohibits big developers and littler ones alike. But parents like that they can control what there children play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.