• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A New Word in our Language

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Did anyone hear Obama's new word? I think I'm quoting him accurately, but I was driving at the time and couldn't write it down. It was to do with his decision to freeze govt executive salaries, and he said something like "economal" ... in context "we have to ensure that economal decisions are made in support of the American people who are struggling at this time ...". I thought only the previous President came out with verbal inventions like that.

A speechwriter using cute words, or a genuine and original Obama-nism?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Are you sure it isn't just the word economical with an accent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm with Crimson, sounds more like he just said economical really quickly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That was my take as well. I know if I'm nervous or speaking quickly, I occasionally do the same.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
President Obama is renowned for his oratory. If it weren't for the fact that he used the word twice, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, assuming, as you've stated, that it was a verbal stumble or a rushed word. I've used Google to search for the expression, but nothing. It'll be in a news clip or sound byte somewhere. Not that it matters, it's not a world shaker, just an interesting invention and use of language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
He is an excellent speaker, though if nobody picked up on it except for you, then it's very likely that it's just his particular accent that's throwing you off. As the saying goes, when you hear hooves, don't assume that it's a zebra.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if it is made up, or mis-stated, that would make the score something like

obama 1 / bush jr 163

;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think if stumbles like that (and eventually he will because nobody is 100% perfect) that it will be a headline because everyone was down on Bush for his speaking and regard Obama as an amazing speaker.

At the very least, Fox News would probably make a 30 minute discussion out of it with several remarks about it for weeks and weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As long as he doesn't start referring to himself as "the economer", then I think we're okay ;)

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.