Is a Mac better than a PC?

T

tafika

I'm thinking about buying a Mac.
I currently use a PC, which I have been quite happy with.
Though I have heard that Macs are better if you are wanting them for graphic design etc. Which is all I really do on my PC at the moment, as well as surf the net. I'm not all that big on computer games.
So before I head out and get one, I want to know what exactly makes Macs better than PCs when you're into the graphic design thing?

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.

OP
T

Thud

Ehhhh... OK, I'll bite.

If you use photoshop, the G5's will be faster in many of the filters than a similarly equipped Pentium 4 system. A lot of graphic designers like this.

There, that's a relatively non-flame-inviting response.

How fast is your current PC, and since you say you're happy with it, are you just looking for something faster? Or something different altogether?

OP
T

tafika

I have a P4, 2.8GHz with 512 RAM.
It's a relatively new PC. And I will be keeping it, as it is a shared computer and I am the only one in the family who is interested in Graphic design.
The only reason I want one really is so I can get used to how they work, so if I do manage to get into 'the business' I won't look like a complete dimwit.
Even though I do use Macs on my Media and Graphics courses at college, the machines I am allowed access to are embarrasingly slow and old. (They can only cope with a really old version of photoshop, whereas I have PS CS at home)

I have been looking into the Mac Mini recently. Is this any good for design purposes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
I'll bite too.

Nothing makes a mac better than a pc. They're both personal computers and you can use both to do work with. It really is a matter of preference. Try a mac and then go with the platform you get on best with.

OP
M

mac_noobie

I really think it is a matter of preference... I used to have a new dell inspiron 8600 laptop... but I traded it in and got a mac when I couldn't keep up with the spyware and viruses.... What really makes mac's special is their OS. I happen to find it much faster, much less glitchy (fast startup, shutdown, sleep, wake-up all the time). I own a 12" powerbook (not the latest one but the series before it) and I have photoshop cs on it. I find it to run just as fast as my dell... no faster. So if your looking for a new OS to explore and hopefully like, I'd try out an Apple, but if you're content with your PC, and you don't feel it's necessary, you may want to consider saving your money.

Good Luck with your choice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
What a remarkably restrained thread. :)

As many have already pointed out, it's mostly a preference thing. For out-of-the-box use and no-worries computing, Mac definately has the edge. For software availability, "bleeding edge" technologies, and gaming, PCs are ahead.

For graphics design work, a Powermac would be a nice system, not much problem with software as all the big apps are available for graphics work. Also, it never hurts to have extra stuff for you resume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tafika said:
I have been looking into the Mac Mini recently. Is this any good for design purposes?

Don't do it man. The mac mini's only appeal is it's cheap price tag. It's for general use like checking mail, browsing, school and office work.

If you're really interested in graphic design then get mid range iBook, any Powerbook, or any Powermac and stick a Gig or two of ram in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
johnnyluu said:
If you're really interested in graphic design then get mid range iBook, any Powerbook, or any Powermac and stick a Gig or two of ram in it.

And what exactly makes the iBook more performant than the Mac mini?!
It's fastest CPU is only slightly faster than the low end mini, it's system bus is slower (133MHz opposed to 167MHz) which actually means overall performance is slower and it has the same slow harddisk.

As a second computer, and if portability isn't required, the Mac mini is the better choice than the iBook.
The 1.42GHz mini, with Airport, Bluetooth, keyboard and mouse is at $756,- on Apple's store. Add to this a 1GB memory for around $180,- (Apple's memory is too expensive) and that makes $936,-
And it will outperform ANY iBook.

So if the iBook is good for graphic design, why would the Mac mini not be good for it???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fair point about the iBooks. For some reason I thought the base specs were faster.

OP
D

Danster

johnnyluu said:
and stick a Gig or two of ram in it.

Dam two GIG who uses that much for basic graphic design i reckon 1 1/2
is the max and that's for heavy vid and photo editing.

OP
S

stevieb

I have an iBook that I use for graphic design, and I got it for the same reason you did. I wanted to learn the platform that the industry uses. Take the advice of the other users. you HAVE to upgrade the RAM.

OP
K

kingcrowing2

Well i have to agree... mac has OS X... try it, love it, live it. if you don't fall in love with panther in the first 10 mins... then keep with a PC... otherwise GET A MAC! i think for basic photoshop stuff a 1.42GHz Mini with 512MB RAM would be decent (get a gig 'o RAM if you can afford it)... i have a G3 300MHz and i've run CS on it... not great by anymeans, but its bearable (but i've never used a G5 so i can't compare it to something like that) but a G4 ~1.3GHz will be really good if you don't need it to be super fast for everything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I have an iBook myself. I really enjoy using it in general becuase of the OS, but in Photoshop it's a whole world of difference. The speed difference for graphic design has been incredible as compared to my friends who use PCs. Everyone says it's relative and that Photoshop is the same program on both platforms, but I've never used a graphic design system this nice, and this is the low/midrange Mac laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If your a gamer and limit internet use, windows PC. If you are not a hard core gamer and are heavy on internet use, Mac OS X or Linux PC. I mean, if you like the endless virus and worm chase, have fun. That's my 2 cents

OP
T

Thud

witeshark said:
I mean, if you like the endless virus and worm chase, have fun. That's my 2 cents

Maybe some people like the challenge, it's all part of the ownership. Sort of like the challenge of owning a 1979 Porsche 911 and trying to keep the oil inside the engine.

OP
T

tafika

Thank you for all your thoughts guys.
It's much appreciated. I'll take into account what has been said, have a nosey round at price tags, and reviews etc and see what would suit me best.
You've all been a great help :)

OP
E

Echo_

i dont see what you guys are talking about.,.. yes mac osx is great and all but i have 0 viruses and prob maybe 1 spyware in a month usually 0... its not that hard not to get viruses or spyware.. but then again the majority of america/pc users are noobs so they should have macs

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
The answer to the OP is yes. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
T

Thud

I think that when it's all said and done, you can get faster, more powerful hardware in a windows box for less money compared to OSX.

However, the flip side is that Apples seem to hold their value a lot better. Pay $2000 for a G5 now, and in 3 years it'll probably still fetch $750-800 on eBay, which goes a long way toward buying your next Mac.
Even older G3's are still selling for a couple hundred bucks. You couldn't GIVE away a PC that's 4 or 5 years old. If you can get a new 2.8GHz P4 machine for under $400 brand new, then how much is an 800MHz pentium-3 gonna be worth?
It'll still run Win2K just fine, along with any office app, but there's just no demand for older Wintel boxes.

I paid a grand total of around $820 for my mini with all the upgrades, and if I want to replace it in a year or two, I will probably get back almost half that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Echo_ said:
i dont see what you guys are talking about.,.. yes mac osx is great and all but i have 0 viruses and prob maybe 1 spyware in a month usually 0... its not that hard not to get viruses or spyware.. but then again the majority of america/pc users are noobs so they should have macs

See also: Flame bait.

As a technician at an ISP, I can say that you are one of the blessed few. The vast majority of PC users have had a different experience. I field calls daily from everyday users who are struggling with Windows machines that are deluged with spyware, viruses, browser hijacks, registry corruption, and more. To the average user, these are simply inexcusable problems. Using a PC online becomes, to them, more of a hassle than a convenience. Think about it. If in order to drive to the grocery store, you have to roll down every window, open every door, trunk and hood, close them all, jack the car up, inspect and spin each tire, change the oil and flush/fill the radiator, and then, and ONLY then, can you safely turn the key in the ignition (and that's no guarentee that the engine will start), would you really want to own and drive a car? This is what many PC users feel they have to do with their computer. A friend of mine, an avid PC user, has a routine that is almost laughable. After each time being online, he runs Spybot - Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, HiJack-This, ETrust Antivirus, Clears his Cache, History and restarts. He said it's the only way he can make sure his computer stays in working order. He even bragged about the fact that he hasn't had to reformat his hard drive and reinstall Windows XP more than 5 times in the last 3 months. And he's a power user.

When it comes right down to it, the average user just wants to use their computer. They don't want to fight it. They want to turn it on, log in, get their email, browse a few pages, maybe chat with a friend, and then log off, and not have to think about it. They want it to be as convenient to use as a television. They don't want, nor do they need, the hassle of constantly cleaning and scanning their machine. They have better things to do with their time. There's always been an alternative to this, with the Mac. Now, it's within their budget.

If you're happy with your PC, which I assume you are by the tone of your post, that's great! It's not a common thing to be in your position, though I know it happens. But for Ma & Pa user, Joe Average...there is a better way that fits with their perception of how a computer should be, and how it should 'just work'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.