MB Pro 2.4Ghz vs 2.53Ghz vs 2.8Ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I'll be buying a mew MB Pro, replacing my 2-1/2 year old Macbook 2.0Ghz this weekend.

I can't decide which of the three to buy. I usually keep my laptops for about 2-1/2 to 3 years so I want something somewhat 'futureproof' (I know, it's kind of oxymoronic). Also, I tend to keep the laptop in desktop mode majority of the time (lid closed, external monitor). I need to be able to take it with me if/when needed.

I feel that there won't be a significant performance upgrade over my 2.0 MB if I go with the 2.4Ghz. Is the 2.53 any different other than a slight Ghz in speed?...is the 2.8 noticeble in speed over the other two? An I wrong about the 2.4Ghz performance?

Which ever I get I will be upgrading to 4GB of RAM and a 320 GB drive or better over the first year.

Comments and suggestion welcome.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this link.

And here.

Check for later benchmarks. Have fun.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Take a look at this link.

And here.

Check for later benchmarks. Have fun.

Regards.
Thanks for the links...pretty much answered most of my questions. Any known issues with running the new unibody macbook pros in desktop mode?

Anyway, I found this very promising

"...To provide a point of comparison, we also ran Speedmark tests on a 2GHz MacBook Pro Core Duo, a two-year-old machine that was among the first to ship with an Intel-built processor. The new 15-inch, 2.5GHz MacBook Pro scored around a 50-percent improvement over that older laptop in both Speedmark 5 and our Compressor tests. We also found the newer model to be 36 percent faster than the 2GHz MacBook Pro in both our Photoshop suite and Cinema 4D tests...".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Interesting, looks like the 2.5ghz mbp is is almost 20% faster then the 2.0 which means its like 30% faster then my old 1.87ghz :p Time to trade up!

Curse you Apple for making me spend money i don't have!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Interesting, looks like the 2.5ghz mbp is is almost 20% faster then the 2.0 which means its like 30% faster then my old 1.87ghz :p Time to trade up!

Curse you Apple for making me spend money i don't have!!!
Yea...and I think my 2.0 Macbook is about on-par with your 1.87 Pro...so I should see a terrific performance boost.

Thing is I'm financing the purchace with the sale of my old Macbook and two other Windows laptops so Im into a 2.53 MB Pro for only $750

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
speaking of performance boosts, I switched to a 2,4MBP from a 1,5, 1gb ram notebook ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Keep in mind the new ones require a display that will accept DISPLAY PORT
since it replaced DVI or order the adapter if its available also take note of
the cache on the new MBP 2.8 if the funds provide since rumor has it the
new 10.6 will take full advantage of 64 bit architecture.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Keep in mind the new ones require a display that will accept DISPLAY PORT
since it replaced DVI or order the adapter if its available also take note of
the cache on the new MBP 2.8 if the funds provide since rumor has it the
new 10.6 will take full advantage of 64 bit architecture.
From everything I've been able to research the 2.8 and the 2.53 are identical (cache size, die size, CPU pinout) except for the Ghz speed.

There is a DisplayPort-to-Dvi adapter. I'm aware that I'll need to use that for m external monitor.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
From everything I've been able to research the 2.8 and the 2.53 are identical (cache size, die size, CPU pinout) except for the Ghz speed.

There is a DisplayPort-to-Dvi adapter. I'm aware that I'll need to use that for m external monitor.

Yeahh the 2.8 and 2.53 are the same. I was considering the the 2.8 but decided to stick with the 2.53.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Yeahh the 2.8 and 2.53 are the same. I was considering the the 2.8 but decided to stick with the 2.53.
That's where I'm at now too...it's the MB Pro I'll be getting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I've been pondering ditching my iMac and older Macbook pro in favor of a brandy new MBP all decked out with max specs... this is just making it ever more tempting. *sigh* I both hate and love apple :-/

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I've been pondering ditching my iMac and older Macbook pro in favor of a brandy new MBP all decked out with max specs... this is just making it ever more tempting. *sigh* I both hate and love apple :-/
Not with Windows 7 so promising...I could go either way, really. I still think that the Mac hardware is way more sexier though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not with Windows 7 so promising...I could go either way, really. I still think that the Mac hardware is way more sexier though...

Don't forget 10.6 is just around the corner also.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Don't forget 10.6 is just around the corner also.

Yeah agreed, while Windows 7 seems to be a step in the right direction I still think that Snow Leopard will be a very good OS. Fully 64 bit, OpenCL and a polished cleaner UI. What more could anyone ask for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.