• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where does Windows 7 leave Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
Having read a few articles on Windows 7 it seems to be getting some good reviews. How where does that leave Apple and OS X? Will people move to Windows 7 on mass from Apple or will Apple hold firm?

What are your thoughts?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I seriously doubt hardcore Mac users that have been using the Mac OS is going to jump ship. There is also Snow Leopard on the way.

For one lets just face it by this time and age most computer literate people can use both OS without much issue.

We can stop the OS wars now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Exactly as it was before Windows 7 came out ~ OS X.5.6 is where and no Mac users will not move to Windows 7 en masse hence 5,000 poor devils at Microsoft losing their jobs this week sadly.

Both Microsoft and Apple release operating systems without affecting each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Any Windows is still going to be Windows, and you know what that means. I have some minor interest in Windows 7 just because I will eventually need to upgrade one or both of my PCs to something newer than XP, but I don't believe for a second that my Mac won't continue to be my computer of choice for most tasks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Any Windows is still going to be Windows, and you know what that means...

No, I'm sorry I don't know what that means. Please enlighten the rest of us.

Have you tried it yet? If you haven't then you don't get to past judgment on something that is still in the beta phase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
A new Windows OS is just a Windows OS with a different name.

Yes, I can & have used both, the differences between them remain and I still do not like using a Windows. I actually have no use for any MS software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How is it going to affect Apple? It might keep some people who were on the fence from switching. It's not going to have Mac users switching en masse, if that's what you're implying.

As for what effect it'll have on Microsoft, I would imagine the impact would be rather substantial as the new OS might get corporations and possibly governments to finally upgrade their systems from XP (or even 2000). This is huge since Microsoft missed a big chunk of revenue from its corporate and government customers when they didn't upgrade to Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
isn't that the main reason for 7?? to try and get people to upgrade from XP??
but I hardly think any Mac user will charge the store to get his hands on a Windows 7 disk ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I for one, have been waiting for news of the new i7's in the Mac world. Have been ready to replace our primary desktop for awhile. Our desktop replacement is not going to be a Mac without the i7.

As someone that's been into O/C'ing since '95, I have been trying to curb my interest in building a new system because I have come to like OS X. But, am not sure how much longer I'll hold out. Pushing that new 2.66 up to around 3.8 on air has me excited and almost giddy about the prospect. I can do it for well under $1500 if I stick it in my old Antec P160 case, add 6GB RAM and a HD 4870 x2 2GB video memory. It's becoming just too tempting.

There are more like me out there. Am not a fanboy of one or the other. I would still prefer my hardware of choice, that can run a good OS. The debacle of Vista caused a whole bunch of folks to jump ship and buy their first Macs. If Win 7 ends up as good as it's looking right now, those out there like me will forego the new iMac and Mac Pro in favor of building their own and sticking with XP or moving on to Win 7.

Granted, people like me will not make or break Apple's computer sales. But, if MS comes out with a good OS this time around, it will affect our advice to the friends and acquaintances that come asking for our help on buying a new system.

At the same time, would think that I'll remain a user of both OS's. Have no consideration, at least now, of getting rid of my MBP. The Win world would just be getting the first of my money since the intro of Vista. Maybe I can wait to see how the next few months unfold, maybe not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
isn't that the main reason for 7?? to try and get people to upgrade from XP??

Yes, but that's not what the OP was asking ;P

At the same time, would think that I'll remain a user of both OS's. Have no consideration, at least now, of getting rid of my MBP. The Win world would just be getting the first of my money since the intro of Vista. Maybe I can wait to see how the next few months unfold, maybe not.

I'm definitely looking forward to the final release of 7 so that I can throw it on my HTPC. Really excited about getting those new Media Center features :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
I'll get it sure bit I'll be running it on vmware fusion ;) having used my parents pcs over the years I can genuinely say that, branding aside, the mac OS and hardware comliment themselves perfectly, this is just not the same on windows machines........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Having read a few articles on Windows 7 it seems to be getting some good reviews. How where does that leave Apple and OS X? Will people move to Windows 7 on mass from Apple or will Apple hold firm?

What are your thoughts?

I've been using the W7 beta, and so far, I can tell you that I'm not really impressed. Aside from a more unix-like attempt at a file structure, and a less intrusive User Access Control than Vista, it's not much better than Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I doubt if it is going to cause any people who have a mac to switch back. All it would do is push back those who are looking into switching, and increased sales all around. And I would have to disagree with those who say that windows 7 is not better than vista. In my honest option windows 7 is on third base looking to run home, and it's pretty close to that too. Both Apple and Microsoft are both powerhouses if one launches a new OS it's not going to kill the other, it's going to make them to launch a better version of there product. Aka competition at its best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Competition is always a good thing.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Granted, people like me will not make or break Apple's computer sales. But, if MS comes out with a good OS this time around, it will affect our advice to the friends and acquaintances that come asking for our help on buying a new system.

I personally don't see me recommending any prebuilt or pre OS loaded PC to anyone. They are full of bloatware and software that just isn't needed at all. Takes hours to uninstall them all.

I wouldn't wish that on family or friends...let alone people I despise.

Build your own, and install yourself has always been my motto for building PCs. It's a shame that we are kind of stuck with Windows to do gaming, otherwise I would have opted to use other alternative OSes. T_T"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
No, I'm sorry I don't know what that means. Please enlighten the rest of us.

Have you tried it yet? If you haven't then you don't get to past judgment on something that is still in the beta phase.

No, I haven't tried Windows 7, but I've used various versions of Windows for over fifteen years, and I've seen glowing reviews of upcoming Windows releases more than once before. To me, Windows always has had a clunky feel, especially in terms of how it handles multitasking. While the biggest backward steps of Vista will hopefully be addressed in the new version, I highly doubt a new version of Windows is going to turn into something that's "not Windows" unless they throw away the old Windows kernel and start from scratch (and they didn't do this).

Reaction score
No, I haven't tried Windows 7, but I've used various versions of Windows for over fifteen years, and I've seen glowing reviews of upcoming Windows releases more than once before...

Yeah, I agree. New Windows/PC machines always initially performed well for me and then went downhill. Now that I've switched to a Mac I'm starting to see why they have a loyal following. (It's much like those that switched to Toyotas, Lexus, Honda and the like - reliability and less hassle of ownership.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
(It's much like those that switched to Toyotas, Lexus, Honda and the like - reliability and less hassle of ownership.)

>_o

Your car analogies are terrible.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I haven't tried Windows 7, but I've used various versions of Windows for over fifteen years, and I've seen glowing reviews of upcoming Windows releases more than once before. To me, Windows always has had a clunky feel, especially in terms of how it handles multitasking. While the biggest backward steps of Vista will hopefully be addressed in the new version, I highly doubt a new version of Windows is going to turn into something that's "not Windows" unless they throw away the old Windows kernel and start from scratch (and they didn't do this).

How about you try it and then get back to us on how it handles multitasking.

>_o

Your car analogies are terrible.

LOL, I agree. I'm not a Windows fanboy or anything but Windows does have it's uses. Maybe I'll give up Windows when Mac can natively support hardcore gaming. >_>" I'll try not to hold my breath in the mean time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.