Dual Powermac G5 2.0Ghz Problem

Reaction score
Hi all, Im writing this through my laptop as my G5 went BANG/POP this morning.
I'm not new to apple macs but I am new to owning the G5 and have little experience with the insides, I've only ever used the G5 at college and Uni. I managed to get my hands on this G5 Dual 2.0Ghz from a friend who has upgraded to a Mac pro and I havent used it as yet because of this:

I had only got a vga monitor so sent off for an adapter from DVI to VGA, the adapter came this morning and so in excitement of owning my G5 I carefully fixed the adapter to the mac and then to the monitor. Powered up the monitor and as always it was perfect and awaiting signal.

After pressing the power on my G5 I heard the glourious hum we all love, I was so pleased about having it and was eagerly awaiting it to start to have a play. Just as the apple logo came onto my screen as it was booting up I heard a MASSIVE BANG/POP and the monitor went blank. I quickly turned off the switches and pulled the plugs out for both mac and monitor and also the power lead of the mac.

After gathering my self together (the bang took me by suprise and scared the **** out of me for a few moments) I switched back on the monitor and as always it was in perfect working condition. The mac however, when I plugged it back in for just a second to see if it was ok, it wouldn't power up and there were no signs of life whatsoever.

I have a little knowledge so immediatly thought it could be the PSU I had heard a few horror stories about them blowing but never before witnessed it. I'm certain its the PSU and I called the friend I bought it from asking and hoping for a solution. He also said it sounded like the PSU, but now Im stuck, Ive just forked out a rather large amount of money for the Mac (Im a single dad and work only part time) I saw that there were a number of certain models that had problems so i cross checked the serial but its not in that group so I cant get apple to sort it for free.

my question is now, where do i go ? Icant afford another G5 Ive spent years trying to get hold of one and not had the funds apart from when this was offered to me at just the top of my limit. I also go to night class at local university studying filmmaking and graphics but I cant do any of what I need to do ecause of the fact I now have no usable mac.

Can I get this fixed cheaper than Im hoping or is it going to cost hundreds of pounds ?

Please help im absolutely gutted that Ive spent all this money for nothing, I only did it to help with my studies so that I can earn more in the long run for my child.

Thanks in advance,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
This really sounds like the power supply, however if it was a power surge it could have taken out your logic board as well.

At this point you have nothing to lose, try disassembling the machine to reach the PSU and see if maybe there's a blown fuse (if it has any, I've never had to tinker with the PSU from a G5).

You could look on ebay for a replacement PSU if there is no fuse, but this wouldn't necessarily fix your problem and they can get pricey, so my advice to you is to sell it as is and cut your losses. You can buy a low end G5 for as little as US $300-350, so that would be better than nothing.

Hope this helps a bit

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I managed to get my hands on this G5 Dual 2.0Ghz from a friend who has upgraded to a Mac pro and I havent used it as yet because of this:

This may not help directly with the problem with the G5...but...if you got the G5 "from a friend"...maybe you should get in touch with the "friend", and see what you can work out!

This is assuming of course that nothing "wacky" on your end didn't happen such as a power surge.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks

Hi guys thanks for the advice, I checked my serial number against the apple extension plan and the mac isnt in that bracket unfortunately, but thanks.

Avenger, could it really have been so bad as to damage the logic board ? I was worried before but even more so now!!

Nick, I have got in touch with my friend that I bought it off and he is trying to help me out his end but what do you mean by wacky ? lol thanks all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen it happen before on PCs, although not common, it's hard to say without attaching a spare psu. Like I said, those things can be expensive and if it is in fact both components then you'll have thrown a good amount of money away.

OP
P
Reaction score
Just looked at the extension service and it says serials ranging from CK53 - CK60 mines within that range at CK54 so im hoping i can get apple to fix it what do you think ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just looked at the extension service and it says serials ranging from CK53 - CK60 mines within that range at CK54 so im hoping i can get apple to fix it what do you think ?

Sounds promising

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, I have got in touch with my friend that I bought it off and he is trying to help me out his end but what do you mean by wacky ? lol thanks all

I'm assuming that the G5 you purchased from your friend:

- was not sitting in your friend's closet unused for a long time (thus your friend may not have remembered what the exact condition of the G5 was when he sold it to you)

- that you turned on & tested the computer BEFORE you paid for it!!!

- that you didn't buy the computer without turning it on, and then when you got it home didn't use it right away (let it sit for a couple weeks). This could possibly make your friend think that you broke it during that time...and then he might think you want him to buy it back after you broke it.

What I meant by wacky is...some sort of a million in one sort of thing happening...like a power surge issue or a computer component failed like 10 minutes after you first turned it on (as opposed to that same component failing if your friend had used it just 10 minutes longer).

Good luck resolving the problem,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the G5 you purchased from your friend:

- was not sitting in your friend's closet unused for a long time (thus your friend may not have remembered what the exact condition of the G5 was when he sold it to you)

- that you turned on & tested the computer BEFORE you paid for it!!!

- that you didn't buy the computer without turning it on, and then when you got it home didn't use it right away (let it sit for a couple weeks). This could possibly make your friend think that you broke it during that time...and then he might think you want him to buy it back after you broke it.

What I meant by wacky is...some sort of a million in one sort of thing happening...like a power surge issue or a computer component failed like 10 minutes after you first turned it on (as opposed to that same component failing if your friend had used it just 10 minutes longer).

Good luck resolving the problem,

- Nick

No I have seen this used many many times before it wasnt his main work horse but it was one he used several programs on. I have even used it myself at his prior to buying it from him and it was very well kept not in a closet, basement or anything like that it has been at the side of his desk in his very nice office so I know its been working and that it wasnt due to the condition of the machine at all

OP
P
Reaction score
Nick,

No I hadnt left it for weeks, it was left for about 5 days, but thats it, and that was only due to waiting for a new monitor. The mac had been running fine when I picked it up, Id seen and used it before I took it.

Then when I switched it on for the first time, it just went bang Im certain its the PSU now, and hopefully will be covered under the extension repair service apple offers (fingers crossed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Wow, sorry to hear that - let us know if Apple fix it for you.

My PM G5 (DP 2.7) I bought from eBay last summer did something similar on the first boot. I pushed the power button, fans whirred up, then the bong, grey screen w/Apple logo appeared then it made a really loud 'click' and shut down. I thought the PSU died then too. Unplugged everything, checked everything was secure internally (seemed to be) and retried it. Thankfully it worked the second time, unfortunately you don't sound so lucky. :(

I'd highly recommend you go to a hardware store (B&Q or similar) and pick up a surge protected power strip. Gives me a bit more confidence and it was only £8! :)

OP
P
Reaction score
I am going to try the apple extension program over the next few days and will keep you all informed as to what happens fingers crossed.

I am definately going to invest in a power surge protector, possibly even a UPS device now if the mac gets fixed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.