New to mac's need some advice on first purchase!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping to get a bit of advice with my Mac buying decision. I have worked on windows systems for a long time, i'm an NT4 MCSE so i'm more than capable. I would like to buy a Macbook because i would like to simplify my out of work computing. I waste alot of time at home on the laptop for no good reason. I game occasionally but mostly i use the laptop for normal email and web and for Photoshop and Lightroom for my photography. I would like to reduce the amount of time i waste and increase the amount i get done photography post production. I have also just fancied trying mac for some time now, i taught myself a bit of debian because i would like to learn some more unix skills and the mac would let me do that.

Here is my problem. I have a dell m1210 (4GB, 2.33Mhz, Geforce 7400, 250GB HDD), currently running Windows server 2008 but whatever. The problem is, i am finding it difficult to justify buying a Macbook. Comparing the Specs of the Macbook (i dont want a pro, happy with 13") they are basicaly the same as my 2 year old dell. On a hardware basis i cant justify the upgrade. (yes i realise the macbook has the 9400 but thats the only difference in 2 years).

I have read the buyers guide. It seems unclear now after the refresh of the white macbook whether there could be a refresh of the macbook alu in the near future. I dont NEED the macbook as the dell is fine but i would like to switch. A hardware gain would obviously make that easier to palate.

Please any objective thoughts on how to play it? reasons to buy, reasons to wait! Pretty sure the nehalem quad cores are going to be a while. Snow leopard?

thanks for any help!!!!!

naryn

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I would any real refresh will be a while away. It doesn't sound like you need more power anyway.

Does your Dell have DDR3 RAM? does it have a LED screen? Backlit keyboard?not to mention OSX. Just trying too help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am still a pc user for work for obvious reasons but for home I only use a
Mac its been trouble free except for the one battery that applecare took care
of but if you spend anytime on a MAC it will spoil you except for gaming I
would say it gets the job done a lot easier and since I am not a gamer I missed nothing making the switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Just wait until the Dell becomes out of date. Why bother making a "side-grade" as it were, and taking a big hit money-wise?

I made the mistake of upgrading my computers too frequently a few years ago, and it cost me a lot of money and didn't get me anywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.