Is one version of 10.5 the same as the next?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing mac OS X 10.5 from a private seller. The seller tells me that the OS came with a 20" silver intel imac, but he's asking me to make sure it's compatible with my mac (macbook, 1.83Ghz, 2 gig ram, 200 gig hd, superdrive). I would have thought one version of mac os was the same as the next, but he seems to think the version he is selling is specific to his mac. Can anyone confirm as to whether it will install on my machine without any problems?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The DVD of OSX that comes with a Mac Model like say the iMac is made for that machine. It will work on other iMacs that are the exact same model, but not on any other Mac. If it came with his iMac 20" Silver, it is worthless to you for your Macbook. You need the Black OSX 10.5 Leopard DVD which is the full retail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.