• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Quitting Smoking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Ive been smoking for 3 years now and finally decided to quit! I have tried before every time cold turkey but now im using the patch. Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance
Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Good luck! I have a friend who's also quitting and he's doing a great job so far, which is impressive since he used to smoke quite a lot. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Good luck. It CAN be done so don't give up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
My advice is to get something to chew on. Whether it be flavored toothpicks or gum. I like these cinnamon flavored toothpicks with tea tree oil. I really gnaw 'em down. It really helps curb the cravings, too.

For me anyways, smoking is more about the oral fixation than the nicotine addiction. Which reminds me, I should quit altogether too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Good luck mate! I also need to quite, been smoking for 4 - 5 years and I'm only 18 :(.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good luck! You can do it! I 2nd chewing on something like Gum. Helped a few people I know who have quit, but really what worked for them is being serious about quitting and never giving up till they did! Hang in there and again good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Good luck. I quit cold turkey in the middle of a pack in 2002. It gets easier and easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Good luck man.. I've tried quitting lots of times in the past.. I've been smoking for almost 8 years.. I really would like to quit, but I guess I just don't have the willpower or whatever.

Either way, I'm thinking about trying the patch or some kind of nicotine gum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Smoking cigarettes is high cost and low return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I agree, you'd think that would be enough incentive to quit. At least I can admit I'm addicted, and it's true, I've seen what I'm like when I go without it. I hate it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Something about people trying to quit smoking always gets my attention. I have many members of my family who smoked. To date, they have either quit for their well-being and health or are experiencing related problems to their health related to the choice of continuing to smoke.

Definitely try to keep us updated on your progress. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only advice I can mention is to remember that having a cigarette, each time, is an individual choice. Decide not to and quitting becomes easier with each decision

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I've never smoked, but I'm somewhat addicted to caffeine. If I don't have a coffee in the morning, I usually need a soda at lunch or in the afternoon. I feel sluggish otherwise.

You could always try replacing your nicotine cravings with caffeine. Caffeine may not be the best thing, especially if you're addicted, but it doesn't have major long term health consequences, and it's cheaper (as long as you don't satisfy your cravings with a $4 venti mocha).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
swapping addiction for addiction is really not the healthiest thing to do IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Caffeine may not be the best thing, especially if you're addicted, but it doesn't have major long term health consequences
The jury's still out on that one. As they say with alcohol, "Enjoy in moderation." That pretty much holds true for almost every aspect of our lives, really.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My advice would be to get the Nicotene out of your system as soon as possible - that means either cold turkey or prescription drugs (Chantax seems to be particularly good from what I've heard). In my view, the patch does things backwards.

The longer you keep the Nicotene in your system, the harder it will be to break the mental part of the habit. Keep in mind that Nicotene only stays in your system for about 72 hours. Once it's gone, the addiction is all in your head and should be more tolerable to manage.

They way I did it? Cold turkey. It's very hard, but you just need to keep in mind that the suffering will lessen once you get past that first 72 hours. In particular, I started drinking bottled water and still went out on smoke breaks at work (albeit without smoking). At break times, I'd grab a bottle of water, go out and hang out with the smokers and drink that whole bottle down. It helped a lot, even kept the weight gain minimal since I wasn't as hungry being well hydrated.

It's easier said then done and it's different for everyone. But read up on how Nicotene impacts the body and understand what you're going to go through BEFORE you start, so you know exactly what to expect.

And if you have to pay for a Chantax prescription, keep in mind that $50/month might even be less than you're paying for cigarettes now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I ceased smoking in 1992 after consulting a hypnotherapist (PM me about that if you wish). I smoked very occasionally (eg. post-dinner cigar) after that time, for perhaps 2 or 3 years, and then stopped altogether. My health in general improved markedly, and my lungs are pink again.

One useful piece of advice given to me was to analyse carefully what associated activity, eg. food, was most likely to make me want to smoke. It brought home to me that I most craved a cigarette (or pipe) after a certain food and beverage. I stopped those too, and it helped. Put me on to coffee though, something I do not regret one little bit!

Reaction score
Lollipops helped me alot. I think having something to hold on too had something to do with it.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Reading this thread has made me want to put a rub in so bad. Shoot! and I really try to do it the least amount as possible...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
swapping addiction for addiction is really not the healthiest thing to do IMO
Agreed. I've never smoked and I don't drink coffee.

Smoking is a nasty habit and I wish anyone and everyone who wants to quit all the best! You can do it, if you want to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.