• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm concerned for I'm a PC

Reaction score
Cash rich Microsoft announced today that it's going to lay off a whopping 5,000 staff. (At the worst of all times for those trying to revive the economy. So much for patriotism.) Anyway, I'm concerned for I'm a PC. That would be sad if he goes - he tries so hard.

Your thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So did IBM and Intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
And here I thought your concern was regarding the possible upcoming SAG strike? Yes, again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just wait till NEW new old Vista crash'es and burns.

Windows 7 is actually a very strong showing for Microsoft as it stands thus far. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
that's what I've heard.. I have yet to bother with a VM to beta it in though

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's definitely worth trying, they've got quite a few nice refinements, particularly with UAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Of course, we all know what our OS of choice will be :) I'm staying with Leopard no matter how good 7 is :) Maybe Snow Leopard as that sounds promising on disk saving

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
7 looks good, I saw a video of it. It has a couple of Mac like features that im a fan of.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course, we all know what our OS of choice will be :) I'm staying with Leopard no matter how good 7 is :) Maybe Snow Leopard as that sounds promising on disk saving

Not me. I use whatever works best for me. If that's Windows 7, you can bet I'll switch back. Now, chances are it will mostly stay like it is at the moment and so there will be no compelling reason to switch (I can't even understand how Microsoft could sell refinements and UI improvements as a full OS upgrade, but I digress).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
CWA where is the loyalty?

Peronally I'll stick with OS X cause I know it has a nice future ahead of itself. But W7? I dunno where it will go in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Funny how Microsoft are struggling and Apple has just released the news they have had the best quarterly profit! :D

Linky to BBC article.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA where is the loyalty?

Peronally I'll stick with OS X cause I know it has a nice future ahead of itself. But W7? I dunno where it will go in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I love OS X. I just don't care for Apple hardware. I personally believe in function > form. Apple's hardware is very pretty and that's great, but I've grown weary of the sacrifices I have to make that wouldn't be necessary on a Dell.

If I could legally run OS X on a Dell XPS M1330, I wouldn't be typing this on an Apple machine right now ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
What Chiliad failed to mention is that in the same story in last night's news about the Microsoft layoffs, the company is also recording something like four or five BILLION dollars in PROFIT.

Do the math. Let's say it's $5,000,000,000 in profits, and they lay off 5,000 workers. There's no way each of those workers makes a million dollars a year, so even if the company were to keep those workers, there'd still be a nice profit.

Kinda ridic, IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Don't get me wrong, I love OS X. I just don't care for Apple hardware. I personally believe in function > form. Apple's hardware is very pretty and that's great, but I've grown weary of the sacrifices I have to make that wouldn't be necessary on a Dell.

If I could legally run OS X on a Dell XPS M1330, I wouldn't be typing this on an Apple machine right now ;)

It is hard, isn't it? I've been where you are. A few years ago I made a brief switch to Windows, but after six months I caved. One year ago, I switched again, but this time, I didn't cave. I'm still using Windows and I'm perfectly happy with it. But I think that's partly because I've just stopped caring so much about computers. All I ever really use mine for is internet surfing, IM, and watching movies, so I didn't feel like I needed to spend more money for an OS that, despite being better from most perspectives, is really more of an advantage for either computer newbies (no chance of viruses or spyware) or professionals (better software for a lot of different trades). I still think OS X is good, but I can't justify the added cost. I just have a homebuilt PC that cost very little to put together and does everything I need.

It didn't help that I had purchased a PowerBook G4 just a few months before the MacBooks came out. Having my computer turn obsolete when it was still practically new really hit me. I was never happy with my PowerBook's performance even in general use. My desktop is tons faster and only cost me about $600.

dauber said:
What Chiliad failed to mention is that in the same story in last night's news about the Microsoft layoffs, the company is also recording something like four or five BILLION dollars in PROFIT.

Do the math. Let's say it's $5,000,000,000 in profits, and they lay off 5,000 workers. There's no way each of those workers makes a million dollars a year, so even if the company were to keep those workers, there'd still be a nice profit.

Kinda ridic, IMHO.
I agree. I think a lot of companies are using the economic crisis to justify layoffs even if they're not necessary. Which only further deepens the problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Maybe in the next Get a Mac commercial, I'm a PC should ask for I'm a Mac's help in doing up a resume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I have no real worry about the company but I have worry for those who were laid off, cause the market here is terrible never few are hiring nowadays. But I have to agree with others, the added cost of apple is getting to be to much, I would hope that they open up the hardware a little more to lower costs. But yes my next PC (personal computer) is going to be a barebones kit built up with win, and fedora core most likely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.