Call of Duty 4 on the 2.0GHz Macbook

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a quick search but didn't find an answer that exactly matches my question so thought I'd start a new thread.

I recently got a new Macbook 2.0GHz for Christmas and while I'm not really that into games anymore I thought it might be nice to have one for when I need distracting from university work. Call of Duty 4 looks great and FPS are my thing so thought I'd go for that.

My question is how will the game run (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Apple Store (U.K.)) on my Macbook (the 2.0GHz one here - MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.). I don't really fancy delving into Boot Camp as this is the only thing I'll use it for.

I'm not fussed about having the most spectacular graphics available, just so long as the game is playable and enjoyable. That is, I can see who I'm shooting and it's not lagging so much that I'm a second behind everyone else.

If you don't think it'll be worth the money then I'll stick with Civilization, an old favorite.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Will

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a quick search but didn't find an answer that exactly matches my question so thought I'd start a new thread.

I recently got a new Macbook 2.0GHz for Christmas and while I'm not really that into games anymore I thought it might be nice to have one for when I need distracting from university work. Call of Duty 4 looks great and FPS are my thing so thought I'd go for that.

My question is how will the game run (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Apple Store (U.K.)) on my Macbook (the 2.0GHz one here - MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.). I don't really fancy delving into Boot Camp as this is the only thing I'll use it for.

I'm not fussed about having the most spectacular graphics available, just so long as the game is playable and enjoyable. That is, I can see who I'm shooting and it's not lagging so much that I'm a second behind everyone else.

If you don't think it'll be worth the money then I'll stick with Civilization, an old favorite.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Will

I run COD4 with my MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz, 256MB ATI X1600, 2GB DDR2) and it runs perfectly fine at medium-high graphics. All textures on "extra" and antialiasing on 2x. You'll just need to tweak a few things here and there to get the best performance out of it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Cheers fella, I reckon I'll go for it. It won't be optimal but it should be a fun to play.

Any other info I should know from anyone else with the same setup who has tried running the game before I buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
No, don't do it. Twestman says he has a MacBook Pro. He has a dedicated graphics processor. Your MacBook doesn't. It has an integrated graphics processor and it won't run CoD 4 well at all. It might not even start on that computer.

Don't get it. See if you can download the demo, if there is one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Apple Store (U.S.)
check that out

I run on on my MacBook Pro, but on the Integrated nvidia 9400 chip on full detail (ok I'm guessing the system doesn't switch cards on the fly?) and it's absolutely smooth

pls some1 correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the power setting set to Battery Performace, which activates the Integrated chip, so if I wanted to use my 9600 I'd have to log out .... with the battery perf. setting I run CoD4 realy smooth

ok I got more ram and a slightly better proc, but if you have the 9400, then you should be fine ... you can always return the game anyway )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can always return the game anyway

You sure about that? I don't think most places let you return software.

Anyway, I guess the 9400M might be able to run it, but you'll have to use the lowest possible settings and even then it might run kind of badly. On the other hand, BareFeats did some benchmarks that show the 9400M-equipped MacBook getting 20-30 fps in several fairly recent shooters, which is not great, but it is playable. My concern is that COD4 is more demanding than those others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I (and several others here) have run CoD4 on the aluminum MacBook (non pro) just fine.

It plays really well on medium settings with only the slightest hint of slowdown during some situations.

I encourage you to check out the unofficial MacBook gaming thread for more details and videos!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...acbook-gaming-thread-late-2008-models-13.html

Ah, good to know. I was looking all over the place for COD4 benchmarks with the 9400M and couldn't find anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I have actually once returned a game that didn't work for me :) guess I was lucky ... I think it was Ghost Master :D come to think of it, I can't remember the reason though, maybe a bad disk ..

it would sound about right that you can't return opened software, yer

OP
W
Reaction score
Cheers for the info. I thought I'd chance it and have ordered the game. If it doesn't work quite right then I can always stick it on ebay.

OP
W
Reaction score
Installed and played last night. Great game! Runs better than I expected on this system. Graphics aren't anything like they could be but are not on the lowest settings either. Tiny bits of slow down when things get really busy but 99% of the time it runs very smoothly and any slowdown that does occur is short lived and not monumental.

Cheers for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none yet, but hoping for Al MB 2.0GHz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Multiplayer online is always more demanding than single player offline. I'd recommend turning your settings down a bit lower (if you have the ability to) for online.

Also I'm not sure why you'd want to use a controller for CoD 4 when you have a keyboard and mouse. Maybe for other games. I don't have any experience using game controllers on a Mac, though, so I can't comment on if it'll work or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I play COD4 with the integrated x3100, lol. It runs well [muliplayer online], but it's on extremely low graphics settings as you can expect.

It runs; therefore, I am happy.

Reaction score
No, don't do it. Twestman says he has a MacBook Pro. He has a dedicated graphics processor. Your MacBook doesn't. It has an integrated graphics processor and it won't run CoD 4 well at all. It might not even start on that computer.

Don't get it. See if you can download the demo, if there is one.

There is a thing called YouTube.

You really should check out how well the new aluminum macbook does with CoD4 on them and make a stupid reply without any basic knowledge in macbooks.

Reaction score
let me put it to ya this way,

I am currently playing COD World at War..... this is with settings on normal(AKA MED) and most of the other feats on.... besides shadows, and it plays pretty well, not perfectly smooth but its def playable. For some online gaming i use an FPS .cfg and the thing is smooth def atleast 50fps during online.

So from what i have read COD WaW requires more power to run! so short answer.... yes.

:) Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.