mac mini - disabling the power up "donnnggg" sound

G

gdestiny

how do i disable the "donngggg" sound the mac mini makes when you first turn it on? i've RTFM but couldn't find it in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I don't think that there is a way to permanently turn it off in OS X.

What I do is just make sure that when I put my Mac to sleep or shut down that my volume is turned to zero. Then when it awakes or turns on the "Dong" is silent.

Hope this helps
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You can download this:

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/software.en.html

It installs a preference pane in your system preferences that allows you to set the volume of the startup sound, including mute it.

I installed it because in the beginning, I also always shutted down my mac after using it, but for some strange reason, it never used the volume setting I had for the startup sound, it was always at full blast (pretty annoying late at night).
But 2 things I'd like to add:
1. Don't mute it completely, because it's also an indicator that everything's fine while starting up.
2. Use the Mac's sleep function. Unlike most Windows PCs, it works very good, the Mac starts nearly instantly, plus the pulsing powerlight looks cool IMO (well, not if your Mac is in your bedroom though...).

I always put mine to sleep, as most Mac users do. The only restarts I do is when an Apple software update requires it.

OP
G

gdestiny

thanks, avalon; i'll give that a try. yeah, that start up sound is pretty loud late a night...

OP
C

Cloudane

I downloaded that and it didn't work (PP worked, but had no effect upon restart) YMMV *shrugs*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Cloudane said:
I downloaded that and it didn't work (PP worked, but had no effect upon restart) YMMV *shrugs*

Hmm...works fine on my PowerMac since a year or so, with any version of Panther.

OP
B

Badger

Besides Startup Sound there is another PP called Psst! Try a search on macupdate.com. Maybe it will work for you. (Like Avalon, I've used Startup Sound without problems.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.