Problem with Netgear Router WNR2000

Reaction score
I have a Netgear WNR2000 router. My MacBook Pro will connect wirelessly with the router but then at least twice a day will stop connecting to the internet and give me the error message, "self-assigned IP address may not be able to connect to the internet". To solve the problem I have to power cycle the modem and the router, doing this twice a day is becoming more than slightly annoying. I do not encounter this problem on my iMac or on my Windows based machines which are connecting to the internet via the same router. I have been on the phone with Apple Tech Support for nearly a 1/2 hour with no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight "Airport". Select the "advanced" button and then select the "TCP/IP" tab. In the Configure IPv4 box, make sure you have "Using DHCP" selected.

The Netgear is probably OK since both your PC and iMac are not have trouble with losing the connection.

Regards.

Reaction score
Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight "Airport". Select the "advanced" button and then select the "TCP/IP" tab. In the Configure IPv4 box, make sure you have "Using DHCP" selected.

The Netgear is probably OK since both your PC and iMac are not have trouble with losing the connection.

Regards.

I have the same problem with my 2008 macbook pro (late) aluminum buttttttttt. anyways i have DHCP on and that doesn't really work out to well for me so i just tried manually assigning a DHCP and so far so good, if you need anyhelp let me know, or if you figure out a better way.

Reaction score
doesn't work idk, i feel like the range isn't what it says it is nearly!

Reaction score
Same here

I have a Netgear WNR2000 router. My MacBook Pro will connect wirelessly with the router but then at least twice a day will stop connecting to the internet and give me the error message, "self-assigned IP address may not be able to connect to the internet". To solve the problem I have to power cycle the modem and the router, doing this twice a day is becoming more than slightly annoying. I do not encounter this problem on my iMac or on my Windows based machines which are connecting to the internet via the same router. I have been on the phone with Apple Tech Support for nearly a 1/2 hour with no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather

I googled my way here. Just thought it might be useful to confirm similar experience. I have been using a WNR2000 problem-free for 18 months. No problems until I connected some "N" devices - macbook air 10.6 and (to a lesser extent) a mac mini 10.7.

The air behaves as you describe. Other devices (ps3, iphones, imac g5 etc) have no issues. I have been rebooting the router. Not good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.