Time Capsule- Can i use it for Time Machine and for media storage

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pretty new to Time Capsule, but have been using Time Machine to back up my MBP onto an external HD for some time now. I know that when using Time Machine with an external HD, you have to have a HD specifically designated for this purpose (unless you partition it).

Does Time Capsule work in this same way?

I would like to use Time Capsule to automatically backup the two MBP's and iMac in our house while also using it to store all of our Music and Photos to be accessed by iTunes and iPhoto, respectively.

Can i do this? I've read that you can't partition a TC without taking it apart and i'd rather not void my warranty.

Other option i guess would be to hook up a large HD to the USB port of the TC, but i've read that this is not a good idea, plus its pretty slow being only a USB connection (especially for playing music).

thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Currently use my TC (1TB) for TM backups from two Mac's and also keep other misc stuff on it. HAve had no issues with doing what you want.

Am not using it as an iTunes server. However, would think that you could just with the effort of getting all the machines set up correctly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.