iPhone 3G and N networks

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to get the iPhone 3G to recognize an N network? My iPhone cannot see my home network because I am running N. At least I think this is the problem. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That shouldn't be the problem unless for some reason, your "N" network is not backwards compatible to slower devices. And it should be compatible.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have an airport extreme set to the 5 ghz wireless frequency. I believe only the draft n will operate at this frequency. I guess one option would be to change to the 2.4 ghz frequency. Just like the wireless speed of 5 ghz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unfortunately, if you plan on using the iPhone on a wireless network, it has to be G compatible. So that rules out running it at N only speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have an airport extreme set to the 5 ghz wireless frequency. I believe only the draft n will operate at this frequency. I guess one option would be to change to the 2.4 ghz frequency. Just like the wireless speed of 5 ghz.
The iPhone can only do 2.4Ghz b and g networks. If you switch to a mixed 2.4 Ghz g/n network, you'll still get n speeds if no "g" devices are on the network. Otherwise all devices will be limited to "g" speeds.

OP
A
Reaction score
The iPhone can only do 2.4Ghz b and g networks. If you switch to a mixed 2.4 Ghz g/n network, you'll still get n speeds if no "g" devices are on the network. Otherwise all devices will be limited to "g" speeds.

Really wish they would make the iPhone n network compatible. I can configure my router to the 2.4 ghz g/n network, but the problem then is my network will basically always be running at g, because both me and my wife have iPhones and they are always on. We both would have to turn off wifi every time we are not using the phone on the network when we are at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Really wish they would make the iPhone n network compatible. I can configure my router to the 2.4 ghz g/n network, but the problem then is my network will basically always be running at g, because both me and my wife have iPhones and they are always on. We both would have to turn off wifi every time we are not using the phone on the network when we are at home.

There really isn't any benefit of having an 802.11n capable iPhone since there are no file transfers taking place over the WiFi that require such speed. I don't think they will add that capability anytime soon. But I could be wrong. :)

You could add an Airport Express, set it up to be an 802.11g router. Plug in it's ethernet connection to your existing router so it will get an IP address, give it a different SSID (ie: If your current one is MyWireless, make it MyWirelessG on the Express).

In my network, I have an 802.11g Airport in my shop that feeds the Express in my kids room, and in my office in the house is my 802.11n Airport that feeds the Time Capsule and AppleTV and is set for "N only". Therefore when I'm home, my iPhone uses the signal provided for by the Express (or Base Station if I'm in my shop).

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
is that really true?
So if I have all my wireless devices running at n (macbook, mbp, and an ibm laptop) and then connect a g device (iPhone), I will not get n speeds between the n devices because one g device is also connected?
I hope I am being clear enough...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
is that really true?
So if I have all my wireless devices running at n (macbook, mbp, and an ibm laptop) and then connect a g device (iPhone), I will not get n speeds between the n devices because one g device is also connected?

You are, and that is correct.

This is part of the reason I run 2 routers and 2 wireless networks.

This is not really an issue for e-mail, IM, browsing the web, etc. You will really only notice the difference when downloading or moving larger files around the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
is that really true?

Yes I believe it is on Apple's support site it will always
go to g when g is detected if its set 2.4 and 5 but will
return to n when those devices are no longer in play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
is that really true?

Not always true, it depends on the router. Some routers are smart in that they don't drag down the speed of the entire network when a G device is connected. Rather, they only lower the speed when a slower device and a faster device are interacting with one another. Otherwise, when two N devices are interacting, they go at full speed, despite the fact that a G device is connected.

I don't know whether the Airport Extreme is one of these routers, but I know for certain that my D-Link DIR-655 had this capability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I don't believe the Airport Extreme is one of those types of routers. I believe you have to get a router that has dual radios, one for G and one for N.

Since I separated my wireless networks and have the previous Extreme "G" on one SSID, and the Extreme "N" on another (in N only mode) I notice much faster file transfers to my Apple TV from my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.