Best way to Copy data on a single dvd to both a Mac and a PC?

Reaction score
Hello All;
I am fairly new to the Mac though I've used a PC for a long time. I am trying to solve a problem. I need to release a whole bunch of data for the PC and Mac on a series of four DVD's. An easy solution would be to create an individual set of four DVD's (Each) for the PC and Mac for a total of 8 DVD's. However, since the data for both formats is identical, I'd rather release a series of four DVD's rather than 8 with an a separate executable for each format to install on each machine.

I've already gotten this to work using the following shell script ...

cp -r "/Volumes/East 0N-75N/data" "/Applications/marsflight.app/Contents/MacOS"

However, it seems as you need Terminal to run this even after you set the execute bit and I'd rather give users an executable program they can just click on (without going through terminal) ? Is there any way to do this ?

I have also thought of going through Applescript but can't figure out the syntax. Here's what I have so far ...

tell application "Finder" to duplicate folder "/Volumes/East 0N-75N/data" to folder "/Applications/marsflight.app/Contents/MacOS"
end tell

I have four disks to copy into the same directory. Using Finder, each set if files is replaced which I don't want ... I want all directories and files appended to the previous.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc ... ?

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just use burning software to create a data DVD that's compatible with both Macs and PCs. Toast is obviously the best, but costs money. You could also look into Burn, which is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm confused as to why disk utility and burn folders would be considered 'mac only'. The file system for DVD's is standardized, as are CD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Any ideas, thoughts, etc ... ?

Tim

Several.

First, you can never be sure that a Mac user has admin rights. So you have no way of knowing whether they will even be able to write to the Applications folder in the first place.

Second, you can never be sure that they will have a particular application installed in the Applications folder. It may be in their personal Applications folder, or somewhere else entirely. There is no rule that applications will be (or will stay) in /Applications.

Thirdly, Apple has a free and fully functional Installer and packaging system, which is how Mac users will expect software updates to be delivered.

If you try to build your own installer or updater out of chewing gum and twine, your users/customers will notice. Spend the extra few hours necessary to read the documentation and build a proper installer. Your product will look much more professional as a result.

Software Delivery Guide: Introduction

OP
W
Reaction score
Hello All;
Thanks for all of your helpful responses. I have a few comments and more questions.

First,Dysfunction - I probably need to clarify things. I never consider a CD or DVD to be Mac-Only. I realize that data can be written on it using either a PC or a Mac and both can read them as well. My goal for this project is to have one set of data and then create a small installer program for both formats on the same disk that can be used to install them.

Kash - I may very well consider Toast since I heard it hides files that won't run on the system you're currently using.

And ... technologist - That's quite a message with lots of good tips. I have a few questions ... and some comments.

1) Do you need Admin rights to install any software or files ? If so, this would be an issue for me no matter how and what method I use to get the files to the users computer.

2) ¥our second point isn't quite true in my particular case. I am using a Mac software installer to place my application in a particular place (The "Applications" directory) in the root directory on the system hard drive.

3) I have used a professional software installer (Filestorm Pro) to install my main application though I am trying to create a single disk that can install the data on either a PC or a Mac for the application.

I would like suggested ways I can create a utility that copies the files on a DVD to a Mac in a particular location.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1) Do you need Admin rights to install any software or files ? If so, this would be an issue for me no matter how and what method I use to get the files to the users computer.
You do need Admin rights to modify the /Applications folder and certain other system folders. Individual users' Applications folders (~/Applications) can be modified by those users no matter what.

2) ¥our second point isn't quite true in my particular case. I am using a Mac software installer to place my application in a particular place (The "Applications" directory) in the root directory on the system hard drive.
Still, that doesn't mean that the user won't rearrange, rename, or move the file after installation.

So long as they're not actual executable files, they might be better placed in the Application Support folder, or something similar.
File System Overview: Where to Put Application Files

3) I have used a professional software installer (Filestorm Pro) to install my main application though I am trying to create a single disk that can install the data on either a PC or a Mac for the application.

I would like suggested ways I can create a utility that copies the files on a DVD to a Mac in a particular location.

Tim
I know that the Apple installer and PackageMaker allow you to cue up multiple DVDs in sequence. I don't know how the DVDs could be set up so that they'd also be available to the Windows installer (.msi ?) at the same time, but I imagine it could be done.

I'd still advise against using a proprietary installer, but if you're going that route, hopefully the vendor will support you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.