Cross Platform Networking

A

antizero

Hello, I'm pretty sure this question has been answered before. (I've searched already but have mostly come up with vague answers to my question, so I decided to actually ASK my question)

Anyway, here it goes: Is it possible for me to network wirelessly a Powerbook with an Airport Express card to some sort of wireless router which I plan on buying (other than Airport) which would then be connected to my cable modem? I'm assuming most wireless routers also have an ethernet splitter so I can connect a non-wireless enabled PC to the network. Is my concept accurate or feasable? I'm pretty new to networking, even though I do understand the underlying framework of it.

Just needed to clarify before I go spending money. :) Thanks in advance to anyone who puts in their two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you dont need the Airport Base Station and a router, a router is enough. buy a wireless router with enough connections. set it up like this:
plug the ethernet cable from the adsl modem to the router, then run another ethernet cable from the router to the pc, run the connection that looks like a cable line to the back of the modem, not necessarily in that order, any order will work. the pc will be the main computer.
then to setup wireless internet on the powerbook,turn on the airport card, open safari or your preferred browser and enter the routers ip address that it came with, continue through the steps given, make sure you use wep. thats about it.

OP
A

antizero

Thanks for the reply, you pretty much cleared everything up for me.

One note: When I said "other than the Airport" I meant besides using an Airport.
I didn't plan on buying an Airport AND a Wireless router because they are basically the same thing. I should've worded that better anyway, once again: thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.