help please!

S

sturu

Hi, I just purchased a used G4 from a place called UW Swap. They completly
cleaned out the os and hard drive. I have OS 9 and OX 10 and can't get either to load. The message, Panic cpu0, unable to find a driver for the platform:"PowerMac3.3" keeps comming up. I can't wait to start using this mac but right now I'm stuck! Any ideas?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What kind of system disks came with it?

OP
S

sturu

help

witeshark said:
What kind of system disks came with it?
None, they clean all information off it, check to make sure everything is working, and send you an your way. These are used computers from university of Wi. I have OS 9 from my sisters computer, and a friend copied his OS X 10 but I cant get either to load.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try inserting the install disc for os x and then shutting it down, while starting up, hold down c to boot from the cd, then continue to follow the stepos and install the os. that depends on which g4 it is and if you can get a disc into it.

OP
S

sturu

Macman said:
try inserting the install disc for os x and then shutting it down, while starting up, hold down c to boot from the cd, then continue to follow the stepos and install the os. that depends on which g4 it is and if you can get a disc into it.
I tried that,right now I have a grey screen with an apple and a small circle again, the circle just rotates. Its been doing thes for about two to three hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats odd. so if I understand correctly, there is NO os installed on this mac? if thats the case, youll need the original discs that would have come with that mac, specifically the software restore disc, which will probably install os 9 and any hardware specific things needed. then once its booting into os 9, boot from the os x install disc 1 and do an erase and install or archive and install of os x.

OP
S

sturu

Macman said:
thats odd. so if I understand correctly, there is NO os installed on this mac? if thats the case, youll need the original discs that would have come with that mac, specifically the software restore disc, which will probably install os 9 and any hardware specific things needed. then once its booting into os 9, boot from the os x install disc 1 and do an erase and install or archive and install of os x.
Yea, UW swap sells used surplus computers from the state of Wi and state schools. None of the computers come with any of the original software or instructions, also no warrantee.It only cost $225.00 for the whole system. The salesman said all I had to do was put in the os disc and it would install. I'll have to talk to him sometime this week. There is a apple service center here in madison, but I would like to get this working on my own. I have been taking classes at madison area tech for programmer/analyst but they don't offer any mac classes.
Thanks much,sturu.

OP
S

sturu

sturu said:
Yea, UW swap sells used surplus computers from the state of Wi and state schools. None of the computers come with any of the original software or instructions, also no warrantee.It only cost $225.00 for the whole system. The salesman said all I had to do was put in the os disc and it would install. I'll have to talk to him sometime this week. There is a apple service center here in madison, but I would like to get this working on my own. I have been taking classes at madison area tech for programmer/analyst but they don't offer any mac classes.
Thanks much,sturu.
This morning I had a error:SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = Ox11

OP
D

Desolate One

After hearing the startup chime hit command-V to go into verbose mode. That way you can see where it's getting hung up. And that's with the OSX disk isn't it? As far as I know that error means it's having trouble w/ the CDROM drive. Could be a bad drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is your optical drive connected correctly? I think D one's right on that one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.