Installing OS X (Panther) onto a no OS iBook.

Reaction score
I have obtained an iBook G3 that has no operating system installed. I am planning on installing OS X 10.3 Panther; I was wondering what I would have to do to install the new Panther OS onto my iBook that all ready has no operating system installed.

This is my first experience with a Mac at all; I am a new Mac user, and this is the first Macintosh I've ever owned. This is also my first time on the Mac-forums.

All help is appreciated, thank you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
1. i recommend 10.4 if you have it
2. either way you just need to make sure that you either have an installation disc designed for your iBook or a retail version. so what this means is that you can not use a disc that came with another mac other than your series iBook so you need a retail version.
3. once you have the proper disc you should be able to install your OS no problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
1. i recommend 10.4 if you have it
2. either way you just need to make sure that you either have an installation disc designed for your iBook or a retail version. so what this means is that you can not use a disc that came with another mac other than your series iBook so you need a retail version.
3. once you have the proper disc you should be able to install your OS no problem.

Thanks a bunch =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Not wishing to be contrary, but the G3 iBook will struggle with Tiger. I agree with your original decision to install Panther, which will run much more smoothly, and faster, than Tiger. Be sure to have maximum RAM installed.

Panther install disks (3 CDs) are black-colored. Then there is a fourth black Disk 1 (confusing) which is to update to 10.3.9. Check the numbers on the disks, eg. 2Z691-4585-A ... 4586-A ... 4587-A. [The Z may indicate International version, so if you're in the US, check with Apple for the correct disk numbers.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i wasn't sure of his iBook specs but my G3 iBook 900Mhz with 640MB RAM runs tiger with no problems but i actually never tried panther on it since i got it after tiger was released.

well anyway whatever you choose i hope it works for ya

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i wasn't sure of his iBook specs but my G3 iBook 900Mhz with 640MB RAM runs tiger with no problems but i actually never tried panther on it since i got it after tiger was released.

well anyway whatever you choose i hope it works for ya

I was going to post the exact same thing a few hours back but got busy and forgot. If the OP's iMac G3 is one of the faster models and Maxed out with 640 Megs RAM, Tiger should run more than good enough. I do admit that even 640 Megs RAM is not the best for Tiger but I ran a G4 Mini with 512 Megs for quite a while and it was very useable. Panther will work also and even better with the lower amount of RAM but I have been noticing on my older Macs with 10.3.9 Panther many sites that will not display due to Safari being very out of date and no updates coming.

When you get 10.3 installed click on the Apple in the Top Left corner and on About This Mac and post your specs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.