Sms

Reaction score
does anybody know if it is possible to send and/or receive free SMS messages from a mac?

Reaction score
I know its possible to send them. There are many apps that do that too.

OP
H
Reaction score
i guess i should have been more specific. i read that ichat can do it, but i use adium to chat, and was essentially wondering if you can send them via adium. i read somewhere that you can do it, apparently by enabling sms on your google account and then adding a jabber contact in the form of [email protected], but when i try to add a contact in this format, it simply disappears after 10 seconds or so. if i try to message the contact before it disappears, it informs me that the contact is not online. i am pretty sure that post also explained that you can receive messages through adium as well, though i'm not positive about that. sending would be enough in my case, because all i desire is to not have to use blasphemous cell phone keys to type lengthy messages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I tried it tonight to send to my wifes cell on Verizon, and it didn't seem to make it there =(

Now, one thing you can do is use email to send a text message. Here's an article about it:

SMS through E-Mail: Cingular, Nextel, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, Virgin Mobile | Instant messaging | Tech-Recipes

That article specifies some of the carriers, with a link to texting to the rest of the carriers. I've used it to text to verizon and ATT - and those have worked, but I can't speak for any of the others. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.