Simplest Instructions for Compiling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro, 17", 2.5 GHz Intel
Hi. I am looking for the simplest instructions to compile an executable either using Xcode or from the terminal. I downloaded a sample C program and I want to compile and test it. I don't know where to put the header file that it needs (what directory to put it in) or how to tell gcc where to look (from the Terminal). If I could figure out how to compile in Xcode, that would be cool, because I assume I could get away from typing long path names and stuff.

I imagine this question has been answered in another thread, but I couldn't find it. I will be happy if you can direct me to such a thread, or post the answer here.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Easiest way in XCode would be to create a new C application, then import all your files into your new project. As far as the proper location of the header files and what not, just have a look at includes at the top of the .c files, but usually they'll be in the same directory as your main.c and all your other files (especially for a small/simple application)

If you'd rather use g++ instead and plan to modify that application, you might want to look into makefiles

OP
MichiganDavid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro, 17", 2.5 GHz Intel
Thanks, I'm getting there

Easiest way in XCode would be to create a new C application, then import all your files into your new project. As far as the proper location of the header files and what not, just have a look at includes at the top of the .c files, but usually they'll be in the same directory as your main.c and all your other files (especially for a small/simple application)

If you'd rather use g++ instead and plan to modify that application, you might want to look into makefiles

Thanks for your advice. I have had some success, but I'm having a different problem that I will describe in a new thread.

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.