• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac G3 Prob...

B

blackadder

Hi there
Can anyone help me with this problem? I'm using an old G3 Power mac desktop (beige) The mac was bought in 1998 but has had very little use until the last 2 months, I use the mac for song writing using cubase VST 4 and just lately i've started to hear what sounds like static every time I play back an audio wave.

I'ts the same sort of crackle you get when turning a knob on a stereo system that has dust in the pot.

I'ts very intermittent but is really annoying, 3 weeks ago I upgraded the sdram to 380 meg, I've pulled every other bit of equipment out of the chain and I'ts definately coming from the mac. I've unplugged the mac from the mains and left it over night but still no go, If it is static, does anyone know how i can get rid of it?
If not has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Many thanks
Geoff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Is this recorded audio that you personally recorded then went to and played back? If so perhaps your microphone is faulty.

If not, your mac could have been disrupted a bit when you installed your RAM. I have messed around with audio when I record music, and havn't run into that problem. Or, your mac could have a curupted file.

OP
B

blackadder

Graphite said:
Is this recorded audio that you personally recorded then went to and played back? If so perhaps your microphone is faulty.

If not, your mac could have been disrupted a bit when you installed your RAM. I have messed around with audio when I record music, and havn't run into that problem. Or, your mac could have a curupted file.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
No its not the mic or any single audio wav cos i checked them all individually, It happens every so often when i play back an audio file i have recorded, but, never in the same place.

Which made me think it was static.
I took the memory chips out today after touching the casing to remove any static i may have in me then replaced them and so far it has not popped or crackled.
Very wierd problem indeed and nasty cos I cant master to CD with the noise.
I have no idea at all where or how to search for a corrupted file I'm afraid.

I'll see how it goes and if it comes to it I'll have to buy another G3 or G4.
Thanks for the help.
Geoff.

OP
N

nko

So it's just durring playback on that one computer that it crackles up on? Have you tried playing the same files on another computer? It could just be the speakers, sound board, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.