Help Converting

Reaction score
Hi, I have a small problem that I'm sure one of you could answer very quickly for me. I have just partitioned my hard drive, so one section is called boot camp, and the other is MacHD. The part I am having trouble with is installing Windows. The file that I have on my desktop is called windows7.cdr
I know I need to copy this file to a DVD so that I can insert it when prompted by boot camp.
I am pretty sure that it is a DVD, because when I double click on the CDR file it mounts a disk image called GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD
I am having trouble putting this file on a DVD. When I try to copy the file onto the DVD in disk utility (by using the burn option), it gives me an error that it can not write to the DVD. I am using a Memorex DVD+R, that is 4.7 GB. How do I put the .cdr file onto a CD or DVD (whichever is necessary), so that I can insert it when prompted by boot camp assistant, and install Windows on the partitioned hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
give burn a try

Burn

OP
J
Reaction score
I have now successfully burned the cdr onto a DVD (using disk utility) When I try to run the windows install, it gets to a black screen that says windows is loading files.

The bar advances about 3/4 of the way, then stops, and does not advance any more.
How can I fix it?

OP
J
Reaction score
I now have a new error, which comes up after the bar has been frozen for a while that says:
Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-Rom that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

The only objects connected to my computer are an internal hard drive, and a super drive. What could be causing this problem?

This is frustrating :(

Reaction score
Did you download a Windows 7 .ISO file from Microsoft (I am assuming from your file description that's what you are trying to install)? Sounds like you might have something a bit different. If you download the MS file, it will have a .ISO extension, which you can then burn onto a DVD and install from there. Your ".CDR" extension is not what the file comes with. I think you might want to try to download the file yourself and then burn another disk. Its free and doesn't take long, plus you'll get a product code (which you'll need for the install anyway).

Good luck

OP
J
Reaction score
Did you download a Windows 7 .ISO file from Microsoft (I am assuming from your file description that's what you are trying to install)? Sounds like you might have something a bit different. If you download the MS file, it will have a .ISO extension, which you can then burn onto a DVD and install from there. Your ".CDR" extension is not what the file comes with. I think you might want to try to download the file yourself and then burn another disk. Its free and doesn't take long, plus you'll get a product code (which you'll need for the install anyway).

Good luck

Hi, thanks for your help. I was able to install from the CDR file that I burned onto a DVD using VirtualBox.
However, there is no driver for the network adapter that is built into the Mac. Where can I find it?
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.