OKay I have an iBook but here is the thing.............

S

sursuciofla

Maybe I shouldn't have been reading the threads because it makes me paranoid, but I have been hearing about the iBook monitor bend(monitor coming loose from the plastic housing). Here is the link to the thread

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13173

My iBook is about a week old and this freaks me out. Should I sell my ibook and accessories I bought and buy a 15-inch powerbook? Hopefully I can at least recoupe the $1600(I got memory elsewhere and maxed it out myself and this includes the tax I paid) I shelled out in total(minus accessories) if I do sell it. That means I would pay an extra $400 or $500 for the powerbook.

Any suggestions from you powerbook users or iBook users too? Am I just paranoid or is this valid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The thing you have to realize is that the amount this actually happens is a small number. When people have problems they post about them on forums. A majority of people who are not having problems don't even go onto forums

OP
J

jbsengineer

sursuciofla said:
Maybe I shouldn't have been reading the threads because it makes me paranoid, but I have been hearing about the iBook monitor bend(monitor coming loose from the plastic housing). Here is the link to the thread

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13173

My iBook is about a week old and this freaks me out. Should I sell my ibook and accessories I bought and buy a 15-inch powerbook? Hopefully I can at least recoupe the $1600(I got memory elsewhere and maxed it out myself and this includes the tax I paid) I shelled out in total(minus accessories) if I do sell it. That means I would pay an extra $400 or $500 for the powerbook.

Any suggestions from you powerbook users or iBook users too? Am I just paranoid or is this valid?

trpnmonkey is right....alot of poeple who notice the prob find a forum to talk about it. i had the bend in the ibook and swapped it out for a powerbook. but the ibook is a strong machine. do you notice it bending now??? i know what exactly causes it... but i'm not sure why some are effected and some not. lower grade of plastic??? dunno.

Josh

OP
S

sursuciofla

jbsengineer said:
trpnmonkey is right....alot of poeple who notice the prob find a forum to talk about it. i had the bend in the ibook and swapped it out for a powerbook. but the ibook is a strong machine. do you notice it bending now??? i know what exactly causes it... but i'm not sure why some are effected and some not. lower grade of plastic??? dunno.

Josh

I haven't noticed a bend but I have noticed the stress put on the screen when you open it because of the hinge. And to the other comment about the powerbook hinge by Earlthepearl, I use a powerbook as well and the design as far as the hinges go is almost flawless to me. The screen is thinner but it does seem to absorb the stress when opening it compared to the ibook. The powerbook is just so much easier to open and you don't have to rippling biceps to do it. I am very disappointed in Apple in the respect that I have never has so much stress put on a laptop when opening it up. Other than that I am quite happy so far. The only reason I held out on getting a powerbook right now is that I could use the extra $500 for applications like Quark, Premiere, etc. My brother has had his ibook forever without problems so hopefully I do as well. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
My Aunt has a year old Powerbook and it's showing the bend too, so it's not just Ibooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Maybe we should open our iBooks and Powerbooks buy lifting the screen up closer to the hinge. Surely that would lessen the stress on the screen.

OP
S

sursuciofla

johnnyluu said:
Maybe we should open our iBooks and Powerbooks buy lifting the screen up closer to the hinge. Surely that would lessen the stress on the screen.

Yeah, I won't worry too much about it. To reply to the comment though, I have tested every which way to open the ibook and it's not lifting the screen it's the hinge itself. Whether you lift it from the top or closer to the bottom the hinge still strains from the same area. Although lifting closer to the hinge may relieve some stress you end up putting more stress in trying to lift it from such a low point, because the hinge is in a spot were it pulls when you lift, no matter where you lift. So in the end you get the same amount of stress on the monitor anyways. Thanks for the replies from everyone though, they somewhat relieve my concerns on this issue.

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
I have been spraying a little silicone on my powerbook hindges and that has helped a lot with opening it without seeing the stress on the hindges. Lube works.
I have now ordered a new iMac g5. Hope I don't have the problems I been hearing about with overheating with that. Maybe i'll put a small fan behind it to keep air circulating? I'll see what the internal; temps are first though.

Apple wake up. Don't act like a windows machine.............

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.