Help me! im cracking up here

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Heres my problem, my wireless internet connection keeps timing out, i dont notice it when im surfing but my messenger keeps signing in and out about every 15-20 minutes for 1 minute at a time.

I brought my mac pro into a mac store to get new hardware installed and i asked them to check out the airport to see what the issue was, i even got them to sign in on my account using adium... Perfect, did not get disconnected once and i left it there for the day turned on and connected just to be sure, still fine!

So that got me thinking, it must be be Airbase extreme, what else like! So i swapped that for my other (brand new) netgear wireless router, and im still having the same issue, its driving me crazy, and just so you know the router is only 15 feet max away from my machine..... and i even tried msn, mercury ect, same deal

What the **** am i going to do? please bare in mind im not technically minded but any help at all is welcomed ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't tell you exactly what's causing the dropouts but here's some things you can look into. If the machine was OK at the Apple store, the problem must be local to you.

1. Interference - another network (neighbor), from a cordless 2.4 GHz phone (could be from a close neighbor). Solution here might be to change the channel your Netgear is broadcasting on.

2. Security - As a test, enter the Netgear setup and turn off all encryption that you may be using; WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Do the same from your Airport settings in System Preferences, Network.

3. Another test - Attach an ethernet cable from the router to your MBP. If you experience dropouts using this method, then the problem is most likely with your ISP. Contact their tech support and hope you can speak with someone who knows about Macs.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I can't tell you exactly what's causing the dropouts but here's some things you can look into. If the machine was OK at the Apple store, the problem must be local to you.

1. Interference - another network (neighbor), from a cordless 2.4 GHz phone (could be from a close neighbor). Solution here might be to change the channel your Netgear is broadcasting on.

2. Security - As a test, enter the Netgear setup and turn off all encryption that you may be using; WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Do the same from your Airport settings in System Preferences, Network.

3. Another test - Attach an ethernet cable from the router to your MBP. If you experience dropouts using this method, then the problem is most likely with your ISP. Contact their tech support and hope you can speak with someone who knows about Macs.

Regards.

Thanks, by the sounds of it, its the network security... ill have a go

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.