a problem with my website and ONE Mac user

Reaction score
Hello from France ;-)

Now that you know that I'm French, you'll understand my (from time to time) strange English.

I'm running a webiste (this website is helping the readers of a book I wrote (in French) about SAS). Some of my files are in a folder you can only access by clicking on some links given by the website. I did this to prevent bandwidth theft and I'm using a .htaccess file to do the job.

This .htaccess file is doing a perfect job for 99.9% of my users. The remaining 0.1% user is a mac user and I would like to understand (and cure) the problem.

When this users is clicking on one of my links, he’s directed on the htm file telling him “you’re not allowed to access to this file from another website than mine” .

I tried to see if this problem is mac related or not and contact various mac users on a French forum to see if they’re having the some problem. None of them reproduce the bug.

Let’s see if one of you can have the same problem!

I created here a very simple html file with a link to a file protected by my .htaccess :

Document sans nom

the link will drive you (normally) to a file inside a mac2 folder. The “mac2” folder is inside a “maceng” folder and the .htaccess file is inside the “maceng” folder. Normally, the htaccess is acting on the files inside the subfolders.

My htaccess file is this one :
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www\.sas-sr\.com/ [NC]
RewriteRule ^.*$ http://www.sas-sr.com/pbeng.html [R=301,L]

My user is running two computers : a Quad G5 and MBPro Intel
on both computer: Mac OS X 10.5.6,
He tried to access to the files with opera, firefox, safari – whatever the browser, whatever the computer, the result is the same.

Any idea ?

Best regards

Sébastien

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This is a shot in the dark. I'm thinking the problem isn't on your site, but on his end or path to your site. I'd ask if his network setup is going through any proxy servers.

I tried your test on both Safari 3.2.1 and OmniWeb 5.8 under OS X 10.5.5 and did not receive the error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
no problem here

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No problem on Safari or Opera here both under 10.5.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.