• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

$999 Macbook Quietly upgraded to Nvidia Graphics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I found this article over at Engadget (if you like tech stuff you should visit that site daily) and if its already been posted somewhere than delete this.

Apple has upgraded the graphics on the entry level white Macbook Pro to the Nvidia 9400m chipset, rather than the older Intel X3100. The processor is also a 2.0 versus the 2.1, Ram is up to 2GB from 1GB (still DDR2 though) and the hard drive remains the same.

MacBook - Apple Store (U.S.)

For those that ordered the white Macbook yesterday, you may want to cancel your order.

-Clay

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good move on Apple's part. Now they just need to knock the price down by another $100. This would allow them to compete better with the lower end PC notebooks. At $899 this would be very competitive. At $999 it's still a bit salty with the 13" screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
agreed a $100 price drop would make it more approachable for a Mac switcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
This is good news... Not sure how the wife will like a White Macbook though...

Reaction score
Hmm, I think Apple is just going to get rid of the white plastic ones by Alumbook Refresh 2. If they are going to become more environmentally friendly then it makes sense for them to get rid of all the old Whitebook plastics they have in stock so they can be more efficient, stick to one manufacturing process and save money. That's most likely why they downgraded to the 2.0Ghz processor, so they didn't have to order another type of processor from Intel. This can be a pain when getting new inventory in.

All Apple did was use some technologies they already have in the unibody Macbook and put them into the Whitebook while giving people a reason to still get the Alumbook. Once all the Whitebooks are gone we'll see 3 Aluminum Macbooks and the lowest one will be a $999 version of the 2.0Ghz Alumbook, a $1299 2.4Ghz Alumbook and the highest will possibly be a $1499 2.6Ghz Alumbook, and new batteries for all of them.

I hope they bring the new battery tech to all their products this year, including the iPod and iPhone. Once the battery is better and the processor is faster then the Macbook will be perfect for Snow Leopard and will be good for at least 5 years. I'm not getting any new tech until battery and processing speed have gotten better and the prices drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
the whole "getting rid of plastic" thing is so stupid. ok so they switch macbooks to alum because of the plastic then they turn around on thier ipod line and switch them all to hard plastic packaging. nice going.

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Hmm, I think Apple is just going to get rid of the white plastic ones after Alumbook Refresh 1. If they are going to become more environmentally friendly then it makes sense for them to get rid of all the old Whitebook plastics they have in stock so they can be more efficient, stick to one manufacturing process and save money. That's most likely why they downgraded to the 2.0Ghz processor, so they didn't have to order another type of processor from Intel. This can be a pain when getting new inventory in.

All Apple did was use some technologies they already have in the unibody Macbook and put them into the Whitebook while giving people a reason to still get the Alumbook. Once all the Whitebooks are gone we'll see 3 Aluminum Macbooks and the lowest one will be a $999 version of the 2.0Ghz Alumbook, a $1299 2.4Ghz Alumbook and the highest will possibly be a $1499 2.6Ghz Alumbook, and new batteries for all of them.

I hope they bring the new battery tech to all their products this year, including the iPod and iPhone. Once the battery is better and the processor is faster then the Macbook will be perfect for Snow Leopard and will be good for at least 5 years. I'm not getting any new tech until battery and processing speed have gotten better and the prices drop.

So did you have a vision of this occuring or are you the design coordinator for Apple?

Reaction score
So did you have a vision of this occuring or are you the design coordinator for Apple?

I just have a strong hunch that Apple's going to go that route and I had a vision of this occurring :p. Steve said the plastic ones will be around for a while but I don't really believe that to be honest. They'll phase the Whitebook out when the cost of manufacturing Alumbooks gets close to the cost of manufacturing Whitebooks. Whitebooks just don't fit well with the Mac's new shiny, sleek platform.

To the guy that was talking about iPhone plastics:

To be honest with Apple products it comes down to cost, demand and supply and attractiveness. Apple wants to make products that not only look good but operate well too, and normally for a higher price. People like gorgeous products and people loved the Macbook Pro's titanium/aluminum shininess for the longest time and now that it's become cheaper and more environmentally friendly to manufacture they decided to bring it to the iMac and now the Macbook and other devices.

If iPhone plastics are cheaper and can be more easily mass-produced than anodized aluminum and large sized aluminum plastics for an entire Macbook then as a profit maximizer Apple will go with this solution. With the Macbooks and Pros the same process is being done for the 13'', 15'' and 17'' Macbooks and Macbook Pros; meaning they can spread the manufacturing costs across these multiple classes of products. With the iPhone people want more than 1 color and the best way to do this currently is with plastic covers. You can't do anodized white aluminum so white plastic works the best right now. If Apple can still sell the Whitebooks to people for a lower price than when it was just the Blackbooks and Whitebooks then they will. It just increases their market share more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 8GB iPod Touch
Re: Price Drop

I bought my new 13" Aluminum MacBook last night and asked about the updates to the white MacBook and was told they stores won't have the new ones until the end of the month but will knock $50 off the price of the 1GB version. Personally if I had been in the market for the white one $50 isn't enough off for the upgrades they've done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Well I am tempted,

And its good news for anybody who still wants a MacBook with Firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Hmm, I think Apple is just going to get rid of the white plastic ones by Alumbook Refresh 2. If they are going to become more environmentally friendly then it makes sense for them to get rid of all the old Whitebook plastics they have in stock so they can be more efficient, stick to one manufacturing process and save money. That's most likely why they downgraded to the 2.0Ghz processor, so they didn't have to order another type of processor from Intel. This can be a pain when getting new inventory in.

I think your predictions are a little off, seeing as your top model is $100 cheaper than the current top MacBook. Not to mention that it would have to get the top processor from the MacBook Pro, which would be encroaching on the MBP's market.

I just have a strong hunch that Apple's going to go that route and I had a vision of this occurring :p. Steve said the plastic ones will be around for a while but I don't really believe that to be honest. They'll phase the Whitebook out when the cost of manufacturing Alumbooks gets close to the cost of manufacturing Whitebooks. Whitebooks just don't fit well with the Mac's new shiny, sleek platform.

To the guy that was talking about iPhone plastics:

To be honest with Apple products it comes down to cost, demand and supply and attractiveness. Apple wants to make products that not only look good but operate well too, and normally for a higher price. People like gorgeous products and people loved the Macbook Pro's titanium/aluminum shininess for the longest time and now that it's become cheaper and more environmentally friendly to manufacture they decided to bring it to the iMac and now the Macbook and other devices.

If iPhone plastics are cheaper and can be more easily mass-produced than anodized aluminum and large sized aluminum plastics for an entire Macbook then as a profit maximizer Apple will go with this solution. With the Macbooks and Pros the same process is being done for the 13'', 15'' and 17'' Macbooks and Macbook Pros; meaning they can spread the manufacturing costs across these multiple classes of products. With the iPhone people want more than 1 color and the best way to do this currently is with plastic covers. You can't do anodized white aluminum so white plastic works the best right now. If Apple can still sell the Whitebooks to people for a lower price than when it was just the Blackbooks and Whitebooks then they will. It just increases their market share more.

Wow, thanks, now I don't have to take that economics course. Apple's business model is built around supply and demand? Who knew!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White
Well for those of us on a very limited budget who dont want to switch fully from a PC but want to experience a proper current Mac that can run both XP and Leopard its perfect. I ordered one on Tuesday and it will be here in a few hours. Considering here in the UK a 2nd User White Macbook was only $75 cheaper than this new one and it only had 1Gb Ram, 80Gb HDD and the Intel Graphics, this was a very tempting option. Something all the Americans here have to understand is that in America Apples are very very popular, Maybe not PC popular but still mainstream enough. In the UK Apples are like 'what is that...?' and the prices here never quite relate to the prices you pay over there. £700 for a spec of laptop thats small, compact, easily upgraded for little cost to max spec, versatile and multi OS...??? Not even my £700 Tosh can match that....

Pound for Pound even at £700 the macbook was a great buy and yes I am sure it would be an even better buy at £600 but here in the UK G4 macbooks are still in the high £400 bracket..

Andi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Well I am tempted,

And its good news for anybody who still wants a MacBook with Firewire

Exactly, I know alot of people that were pretty when firewire 400 was dropped from the macbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 4th Generation 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2048 MB RAM OS X 10.5.7
I'm glad I still have my current MacBook Pro then, I was thinking of selling it when the next line comes out. The only reason is because I am a power-hungry froop who wants the best from Apple. I'm still a new Mac user, but I'm basically sold for life on their notebooks.

Reaction score
i am so very happy with my macbook unibody i bought last January...i just love the backlight in the keypad...i love to work ..do my research and manuscript in a dimly light room, whereus before, using that computer (vista) i have to buy a led and attach to the usb so i can work...now i am very happy working and typing because the led kepads is amazing..with no headache with antivirus whatsoever...

i love this new macbook...
;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i still got the old GMA950 64meg video card.... and i have been playing some video thirsty games like WOW, Doom3 and NFS. Never any issues, really cant tell the difference. But if something comes up and i upgrade to the current White MB it will be an awesome upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.