USB hub, speaker output

Reaction score
Hi, it's my first time with an iMac, but enjoying it so far. Couple of quick questions:

1) Is there a usb hub available that does not need to be plugged into a power socket, but gets powered from the imac?

2) I am using harmon kardon soundsticks, I notice that if they are plugged in, but turned off, there is no way to default the sound to the monitor speakers. You have to physically unplug the speaker. Does anyone know a way around this? The reason I ask is that the speakers don't have an on/off switch so it is inconvenient, you have to go to the plug and do it there.

thanks
StaminaJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You can change it in SysPrefs > Sound > Output, but even that's a hassle.

To your first question, there are numerous bus-powered hubs, but the MacOS doesn't provide much power to its USB ports. It's a regular problem with Mac laptops, and the general rule or advice is "get a mains-powered hub".

Maybe the Cyberpower mobile battery-pwrd hub would suit your purposes. I have one connected right here, I find it invaluable. Model No CP-H420MP.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the cyberpower mac usb battery powered hub looks very good I will give it a whirl.

It is a pain manually setting the sound output, but at least I suppose you would have the same issue on windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
It is a pain manually setting the sound output, but at least I suppose you would have the same issue on windows.
Since my earlier post, and your reply, I seem to recall that there was a keystroke that changed the output (I'm not at my regular computer so can't verify this). What I can't remember however is if it worked only within the Sound prefs or in an application. The situation was with my USB headphones when using Skype. With the arrow down or up I could toggle between the h-phones and the eMac speakers. Give it a ry, see what happens.

Yep, the Cyberpower unit is a goodie - including battery charging - I'm surprised more people don't buy and use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.