OS X 10.4.11 Disk Utility Not Able to Repair

Reaction score
I tried, unsuccessfully, using the computer's utilities program to repair the disk.

I followed standard procedure, by booting up from the OS X 10.4 install disk, selecting UTILITIES, then DISK UTILITIES. Once the DISK UTILITY opened, I selected the OS X 10.4.11 disk. Then I clicked on the REPAIR DISK button, and let it go through the scan / repair cycle. But it stopped near the end, giving me this message:

[in red letters]
invalid node structure
The volume Mac OS X could not be repaired after 3 attempts

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

[in black letters]
1 HFS volume checked

[in red letters]
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

[in black letters]
Repair attempted on 1 volume

[in red letters]
1 volume could not be repaired

After I got that message, I shut down, then restarted manually after waiting about ten seconds, rebooting from the OS X 10.4.11 install disk as before. But when I got to the DISK UTILITY page again, this time I did the other of the three things [verifying permissions, etc.], before re-running the disk repair again. And again I got the same message as above.

Other than that, my computer seems to be working okay, except for the iPhoto. If I edit one photo, it does nothing more. Not even quit. So I must force-quit to exit iPhoto, and re-open each time I want to edit a photo, unlike before I up-graded from OS X 10.2 to 10.4.11.

Additionally, I tried, unsuccessfully, going into SINGLE USER MODE, by rebooting again, this time holding down both the C key and the S key. But the computer monitor stayed GRAY color, without switching to BLACK. So after holding down the C and the S keys for several minutes, and still no black page came up, then I gave up waiting for it and shut down the computer manually. And let it sit for about a minute, before rebooting a fourth time, and again trying the DISK UTILITY, and again getting the above message.

So PLEASE tell me what I can do now. Is there anything I can do to repair the disk, short of saving all files then erasing the disk, and starting over?

As you may have already perceived, I'm no expert. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance.

-Tom

P.S. How do I get to SINGLE USER MODE with the OS X 10.4.11?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
To boot into single user mode, I believe that boot the system and hold down the s key. As for the repairing the disk you may need some like DiskWarrior 4

Reaction score
What you can do is run the Apple Hardware test to check if there is any faulty hardware component that may be causing this issue.

Reaction score
Single user mode is command-s. Type in fsck -yf and let it do it's thing.
Keep dong this until it says no more errors. If after 3 or more times it still says errors, you probably have a bad drive.
You can try the Hardware Test and/or Diskwarrior, they may or may not help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.