Noob question (MBPro question)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.5/2gb/250gb
Ok, so about a year ago I decided it was time to buy a new computer. I purchased a new black Macbook. I used it for about 2 weeks and just could not switch so I took it back and bought another PC laptop. Well, I have been using mac at work now since september and it is time to switch. I have found a MB Pro that has Leopard 10.5. 1.83 Intel Duo Core processors and 1.5 gig of memory, 80 gig hard drive, Superdrive (dvd burner), internal wifi and webcam, 15" display. My question here is this. It comes with no recovery discs, but I can purchase them from my local mac store. At a $750 price tag, is this a good mac to get or is it outdated? Should I fork over the cash for a new one? I will be able to buy the newest macbook (not pro) with the higher specs, but would rather use that cash for something else. Is the pro I am looking at out of date, or will it suffice for a few years? I do architectural drafting and that is what it will be used for primarily. Is there anything to look for when I go to see it as far as typical problems or anything? Thanks in advance for all the help in answering my questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
It's starting to become out of date in terms of processor, HD and RAM and the fact that it comes with no restore disks is potentially a big problem. I would have a look around to find something that has the disks included (less chance of it being stolen) and that has a bit more punch to it when it comes to the 3 hardware bits I mentioned above. I reckon that machine is probably worth around $600-$700 at the most.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
$750 for a three year old computer - with a 1.8 CPU - no warranty, no disks - not a chance they'll get my money. Don't care if it is a Mac. Personally wouldn't pay over $500 for any computer with a 1.8 CPU in it. My old P4 3.2 will blow that thing out of the water with anything you want to do including encoding video.

While TB is correct in that it is worth the $600-$700 to a seller, think I'd be trying to save my money a little longer. Especially if you're wanting one to last you a "few years". Would you be willing/satisfied with a 6-7 year old computer right now if you had one? The answer to that question will tell you if it could last you a few years.

And yeah, I know some folks don't need much in a computer. My wife is still using a 5-6 yr old Dell with a P4 2.8 and still content. I'm also extremely opinionated when it comes to buying used electronics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.