Trouble deleting "Resources" file from trash

Reaction score
I just recently deleted all of my Time Machine backups from my external hard drive. There were two files on there to start with: one was a blue folder icon that said 2008-07-06-200454 (all of the backups) and there was another file that had a white page icon that said the same thing but says .inProgress at the end. My trash would not delete this when it got to it. When I do try to delete it the following message will pop up: "The operation cannot be completed because the item "Resources" is in use". I used the program What's Keeping Me? to see why I couldn't delete the file. Sometimes this program will pick up on it and says that the Dock needs to quit before I can delete it. I'll hit the Quit App button but the dock just disappears for a second and then reappears. Doesn't solve anything. Other times, the program won't pick up on it at all and will yield no search results. Please somebody help me delete this troublesome file from my mac!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try rebooting your system and then empty the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.