My C2D iMac is broken... Help?

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my iMac (Aluminum C2D). I get the standard chime on startup followed by a white screen. That's where it stays. I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting.

A few weeks ago I got a multilanguage error (I've read that that's typical of a hardware failure??). I don't remember exactly what it said. After a restart, it seemed to work fine.

It's running Leopard. The RAM is OWC TechWorks (4GB). I put the stock Samsung RAM back in, but it didn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

S

satrop

Have you tried booting from the OS CD? If you can go to the Utilites and do a disk check.

You might have to a re-install?

Post back your results when you can.

Good luck!

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I haven't done anything but the RAM swap. I figured a hardware check was next, but I haven't done it yet.

I hope I don't have to do a reinstall. Hopefully Time Machine has been doing its job. I haven't checked it in a while.

Reaction score
The multi-language error is called kernel panic. If the last thing that you did was a RAM swap. Its most likely a problem with the RAM.not sure what it is though at this point. Best thing to do is do an apple hardware test. Since that's an intel chip press D while restarting and choose extended on the Apple Hardware test. This will tell you if anything is faulty

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
The aftermarket RAM was installed the day I got the iMac, which was over a year ago. I thought the kernel panic could have been related to the RAM. That's why I installed the factory RAM back in the machine, which made no difference.

I'm going to run the hardware test after work today. I'll post the results later on.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I can't get the computer to run the hardware test by holding down "D" at startup. I also can't get it to boot from the DVD by holding down "C" at startup.

Now I can can't get the DVD to eject with any method.

I tested the keyboard on my MacBook and it works.

Anything else I can try?

S

satrop

Sorry to say, I'm stumped? Have you tried start up with no RAM? Just fishing here.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I haven't tried to start up without RAM. Would it even run?

This is really ticking me off.

It's unusual that I can't boot from the DVD and I can't run the hardware test. The DVD won't eject either. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the keyboard, but it works when plugged into my MacBook.

I did notice that the "Caps Lock" key doesn't light when plugged into the iMac, but it does when plugged into the MacBook. Could that be a problem?

Also, I can't get the DVD back out. The eject button doesn't work. Holding the mouse button on startup doesn't work either.

I'm lost. I'm afraid it may be a logic board problem. In which case this shiny new iMac will become an expensive paperweight.

S

satrop

Are you getting anything when you try and start up? Start up chime, kernel panic, a little man dancing around wearing a pink tootoo??

And hold old is your iMac? Do you have Apple care? If its still under warranty I would take that back right away! Even if it does start up again!

S

satrop

Have you tried to start in "Safe mode"? Hold "shift" at start up. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Are you getting anything when you try and start up? Start up chime, kernel panic, a little man dancing around wearing a pink tootoo??

And hold old is your iMac? Do you have Apple care? If its still under warranty I would take that back right away! Even if it does start up again!

I get the start up chime followed by a gray screen. That's where it stays.

I've read a little bit about this type of problem. One of the things they recommend is updating the firmware. I don't know how I could do that considering I have no keyboard or mouse control.

It's a little over a year old. I have Apple Care on my MacBook, but didn't get it for the iMac. It's been my experience that if something is going to go wrong, it generally happens within a year. Not so much in this case, I guess.

S

satrop

Have your tried the PRAM reset option?

Command+Option+P+R

Try that and then a re-boot

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I came across that earlier today. I'll have to try tonight since the iMac is at home. I'm not to optimistic though.

I am wondering if the computer is actually getting the signal from the keyboard.

The optical mouse works when it's plugged into the keyboard, but the caps lock key doesn't light. Maybe it doesn't function until the computer is started and functioning properly? I don't know...

S

satrop

No it should work! Try changing the port that the keyboard is in, also try taking out the keyboard and do a re-boot with out the keyboard in and when you need to use the key board plug it back in. Another thing, do you have the extender cable attached to the keyboard cable? I had a problem like this when trying to install XP on my Mac, I found that XP wouldn't see my key board if the extender cable was plugged in.

After this, I think I am out of ideas? I hope you get it fix because Mac as a paper weight = not a happy person! I know! Lost my G4 a few years ago and it made me mad to look at it!

Anyway my friend, all the best and I hope you can get it fixed! Let us knowif you do! :D

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Thanks for the brainstorms. I'll try all of these things tonight and post back.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Nothing worked. I can't get passed the gray screen. I'm really frustrated with this iMac...

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Are there any options for connecting my MacBook to the iMac via Firewire? I don't know if it's possible to run tests or boot the iMac through the MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.