airport card and eMac - Won't go in!

B

breckgirl5

Hello eveyrone,

I've been a mac user for years at work and I just inherited an eMac from my company. (yes, they are very generous!). In an effort to avoid ethernet cables, I have a PC wireless network (yeah, I know... :D ) in my home and I'm trying to include the eMac on that network.

I was told at the Apple store to buy a regular 802.11 Airport card off Ebay or macwireless.com, sot that's what I did. It arrived last night and I was very excited to get the thing installed. I followed the instructions from Apple.com, and I cannot get the card to fit into the slot! The card appears to be wider than the slot by a couple of "hairs" as they say. I've tried and tried and tried for about an hour total. I finally had to stop for fear that I would break something or throw the darn thing out the window.

I don't think they make more than once size of airport card, do they? It's not an extreme card... just regular airport. Has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it? I hate to go back to the Apple store again.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Im pretty sure the emac requires an airport extreme card which is slightly thinner.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
B

breckgirl5

I just had another thought...isn't the Extreme card fairly new? This eMac of mine was purchased back in the summer of 2003. If the extreme card is new, this older eMac wouldn't require it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
breckgirl5 said:
I just had another thought...isn't the Extreme card fairly new? This eMac of mine was purchased back in the summer of 2003. If the extreme card is new, this older eMac wouldn't require it.

eMac's were using AirPort Extreme by the summer of 2003.

Click on the Apple logo in your Menu bar and select "About This Mac". Then click on "More Info..." and check which graphics card you have. If it's ATI, you need the AirPort Extreme card.

BTW, if it turns out you do indeed have the wrong card, you'll find that it's actually a pretty valuable piece. Since Apple discontinued the AirPort cards, they're becoming harder and harder to find.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Padawan said:
eMac's were using AirPort Extreme by the summer of 2003.

Click on the Apple logo in your Menu bar and select "About This Mac". Then click on "More Info..." and check which graphics card you have. If it's ATI, you need the AirPort Extreme card.

BTW, if it turns out you do indeed have the wrong card, you'll find that it's actually a pretty valuable piece. Since Apple discontinued the AirPort cards, they're becoming harder and harder to find.

Apple for sure dropped the Airport cards? Thanks for the info. Makes sense though and probably why my Mac Store and CompUSA had a few of them heavly discounted. I have a Sawtooth as well as Mac Mini and bought one for the Sawtooth.

Now I bet the price on Ebay will rise as people will want them for their older Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.