too cold?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I keep my macbook on a shelf next to the wall. this wall is not insulated and gets cold. I went to pick up my mackbook and its was really cold. its like radiating off the walls onto my macbook. will that hurt my macbook in any way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I keep my macbook on a shelf next to the wall. this wall is not insulated and gets cold. I went to pick up my mackbook and its was really cold. its like radiating off the walls onto my macbook. will that hurt my macbook in any way?

It may hurt over a period of time. Here's why: The machine is cold, real cold. You turn it on and it warms up quickly - that can cause condensation to form on the inside of the machine and even around the rear of the LCD. Moisture and electronic components don't mix well. :(

Try to keep your MacBook at room temperature for at least an hour before you turn it on and start using it. Or, better yet, don't store it in a cold place or next to a very cold area.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless the wall is cooling his computer to near zero temperatures, I don't think condensation is going to be a problem.

Do you use your Macbook while it's sitting next to the cold wall? If so, then there's a positive and negative aspect to it. The positive is that computer equipment works best when it's cold. However, the LCD screen works best at room temperature as cool temperatures can cause delays in the refresh rate. This could potentially lead to damage over time. However, this is all a moot point if the temperature drop isn't that significant.

Exactly how cold does the laptop get? Is it like a ten to twenty degree drop from room temperature, or is it as cold as ice?

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
um i dont think its as cold as ice. but it was like defiantly pretty cold. like left in your trunk overnight cold. you guys are scaring me maybe i wont put it there anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well even "left in your trunk overnight" is subjective. How cold does it get at night where you are? If it only goes as low as 50 degrees, then it's no big deal. However, if it gets lower than 32 degrees on a regular basis, then it might be cause for concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The highest and lowest recommended operating and storage temperatures of your Mac are listed in the manual and on the Apple website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
well, just to be safe, you shouldn't store it there anymore. That way, there is no problem or chance of damage :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.