MacBook Pro Keyboard Light Problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15", nVidia GeForce 9400M, 320GB HD, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
I just got the new MacBook Pro 2 months back, and suddenly the keyboard backlight refuses to turn on. Everytime I click the increase backlight brightness or decrease it it shows this (the same box but instead of the white dots increasing or decreasing a circle with a line inside like the no smoking sign) :

Can I fix it by some setting or do I need to take it to the Apple store?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15", nVidia GeForce 9400M, 250GB HD, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
Are you in a bright room? That would make it not turn on...try going in the bathroom for a moment with no lights on. If it doesn't go on then, try messing with the lighting settings under Keyboard/Mouse in System Preferences.

If not, I'm not sure :(

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am in the same room I usually am. And I tried messing with the system preferences nothing is helping :( . Is there anything specific I should do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15", nVidia GeForce 9400M, 250GB HD, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
Try downloading a free program called Lab Tick.

It's another way to control the lighting of the keyboard.

Lab Tick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey that actually worked my lights are working, that's a relief. Thanks a lot ao5t.

But still those two buttons ain't working. Can someone help me fix that problem?

Reaction score
same problem here

Hi All,

I have exactly the same problem with my MacBook Pro-2. Would really like to get the keys operational, they are there for a purpose....

Greetz, eric

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
are the lights off in the room? :)

just had to ask haha

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As ao5t pointed out, if you don't have it, Lab Tick is a great program. If you really want ultimate control over your key backlight, it's the app for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Just to clarify, the MBP is designed to not allow the backlights to function unless in dim lighting. Labtick (Amazing!) allows you to bypass this by overriding the system. If using Labtick, use the slider to adjust the brightness. The buttons won't function while using Labtick.

Reaction score
I was experiencing the same problems this morning. I did a google search and came up with this thread. I took the advice of some members here and decided to experiment. I'm in the same room with the laptop in one position, facing the window. The lights go off and will not allow me to control it using the buttons. I held up a pillow in front of it and the lights come back on and allows me to control it.

Therefore, the answer would be that this behavior is normal. If you would like to control the light manually, try the program mentioned above.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, guys!
Lab Tick is the CAT'S MEOW.
Gave them a donation as my thanks.
LongJnSilver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I was experiencing the same problems this morning. I did a google search and came up with this thread. I took the advice of some members here and decided to experiment. I'm in the same room with the laptop in one position, facing the window. The lights go off and will not allow me to control it using the buttons. I held up a pillow in front of it and the lights come back on and allows me to control it.

Therefore, the answer would be that this behavior is normal. If you would like to control the light manually, try the program mentioned above.

Correct... The computer will not allow you to turn on or control the keyboard lights unless it is dark in the room....
There is a light sensor on MBP's that detects ambient light...
On the Old MBP: it is located under each speaker grille...
On the New unibody MBP and upgraded macbook: it is located next to the isight camera on the screen...

If you want to test it, just cover it up briefly... If it works, your keyboard lights should come on and allow you to control them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 MacBook Pro 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.5.6
Lab Tick is outstanding, but I'm still not sure my keyboard backlighting is working correctly.The center of the keyboard is lit, but it's much darker on the sides, even using Lab Tick at full illumination.

Do I have a hardware malfunction?

Reaction score
I had the same problem this morning.It's only that the computer, when senses too much light in the place you are, turns the keyboard light off.To override this behavior the quick and clean way i've found is Lab Tick.
If you still worried about something being wrong inside your machine, you only has to shadow the light sensor and "you'll see the light"
Bye.

Reaction score
Lab Tick is outstanding, but I'm still not sure my keyboard backlighting is working correctly.The center of the keyboard is lit, but it's much darker on the sides, even using Lab Tick at full illumination.

Do I have a hardware malfunction?

i have the exact same issue; it almost looks as if some of the keys are dirty and not letting light through, but i know that they aren't.

manufacturing flaw??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
Turn off the light sensor in system preferences. May work. I don't have mine on and I've never had a problem.

Reaction score
Only center keys lit

i have the exact same issue; it almost looks as if some of the keys are dirty and not letting light through, but i know that they aren't.

manufacturing flaw??

Hi, I am suffering the same. Any update on this? Is it related to a hardware issue? I can see the backlight under all keys (if you look from the front) but if you look from an upright position, only the center keys are shining...

Would be glad to hear how you fixed this.

Reaction score
easy fix

I think it uses the camera as a sensor... so an easy fix is just to cover the lens on your pro... then go ahead and adjust ur setting

In saying this ur keyboard back light will fade off again once you remove your finger of the lens.

hope this helps

Reaction score
Keyboard Backlit Solution Worked!

Update. I looked for a solution, downloaded Lab Tick, and my keyboard is now nice and bright! Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
keyboard light not working

Hi,

I just cleaned the fans on my MBP and then closed my laptop only to realise that my keyboard backlight stopped working... The icon shows its on, also I tried the software Lab Tick but nothing is working. I am in a dark room so whatever suggested in this topic I have tried but nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.