a dream

Reaction score
I have a dream (a vision if you like) that one day a nice Mac Pro will stand beside (under or on) my desk, being there, looking awesome.

you get the picture, but my question is, I want to be able to have three screens, two on the desktop and then my TV (everyone got DVi), what graphic card is needed for that?

2 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB, does that give me the opportunity to have four screens?

would be awesome with 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

I am holding of a bit of buying a MacPro, wating until the next update, better Graphics cards and a bit concern is the money oO

and, screens, I will buy two new once, I think the Apples screens is overpriced, if you dont think that, tell me why
otherwise, got any ide of good looking screens, 24inc widescreen =) not HAS TO BE 24inc, but around. Please send a url with info and picture =)

Thanks alot!

S

satrop

Well! First off, I love your signature! How very true!

I have a Mac Pro and yes! It's like a little bit of heaven sat right next to! I love her to bits!!!

Very smart move to wait for a bit to get the newer Pros.

I have a duel screen set up running on my ATI x1900 (watching the office to the right of me and typing this on the left).

So if you got tow of these card you could run four monitors (I want pictures if you to, that would be sweet) The Apple monitors, IMHO, yes! they are very expensive, but they are really good! But I would ONLY get one if I REALLY had the money. I have a 22" Acer. Really nice monitor and really great price here's the like to have a look at one (sorry this is UK prices) ACER P224WAbid 22" wide TFT Screen 2 ms, DVI, HDMI: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo I have two of them and they work GREAT!

Also another thing to note on the Apple monitors, I can not confirm this (maybe some else can) I here talk that they don't work with DVI ports

Hope all this helps.

Have a good one!

Reaction score
I'm still deciding between the MacBook (upper-end) and iMac.
Even though they are different things, I think I miiiight go for the iMac, as I wouldn't dare bring around a laptop that costs over £1000! I'd get mugged!

I would be using it for gaming...

If it was suddenly on my desk, I would pray everyday.

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
Well! First off, I love your signature! How very true!

I have a Mac Pro and yes! It's like a little bit of heaven sat right next to! I love her to bits!!!

Very smart move to wait for a bit to get the newer Pros.

I have a duel screen set up running on my ATI x1900 (watching the office to the right of me and typing this on the left).

So if you got tow of these card you could run four monitors (I want pictures if you to, that would be sweet) The Apple monitors, IMHO, yes! they are very expensive, but they are really good! But I would ONLY get one if I REALLY had the money. I have a 22" Acer. Really nice monitor and really great price here's the like to have a look at one (sorry this is UK prices) ACER P224WAbid 22" wide TFT Screen 2 ms, DVI, HDMI: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo I have two of them and they work GREAT!

Also another thing to note on the Apple monitors, I can not confirm this (maybe some else can) I here talk that they don't work with DVI ports

Hope all this helps.

Have a good one!

Thanks :) think I got it from my russian friend, a mac freak, even programing for some company to the iPhone.

oO lucky you!

I hate when you buy something and next day something new is up and better!

but, can I get 2 x ATI x1900 so I can have four screens or how does it work? Because I dont know if I want to put that money on a graphic card... dont want to wait to long to get it.

Thanks alot, helped me alot :) got my imac (first intel version) that I probably sell, but I dont really want to, such a **** great computer! so I see what happens =) maybe wait so it's not worth selling so I keep it :D

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
I'm still deciding between the MacBook (upper-end) and iMac.
Even though they are different things, I think I miiiight go for the iMac, as I wouldn't dare bring around a laptop that costs over £1000! I'd get mugged!

I would be using it for gaming...

If it was suddenly on my desk, I would pray everyday.

my friend, you are talking about I guess, an MacBook Pro, thats Apples kick as laptop
iMac = there "one screen computer" the computer in the screen
MacPro = PC look alike computer but MUCH MUCH nicer, sexier and more good looking :D

S

satrop

"MacPro = PC look alike computer but MUCH MUCH nicer, sexier and more good looking" :D

Oh YEA it is! ;)

"but, can I get 2 x ATI x1900 so I can have four screens or how does it work? Because I dont know if I want to put that money on a graphic card... dont want to wait to long to get it."

yes you can do this, adding two VGA cards you will be able to have four screens. I think you said you would be waiting to get the *New* Mac Pros? I know in my Mac Pro I can't SLI the cards, and I'm not 100% sure you'll be able to in the *New* Mac Pros? I know you can SLI two cards if you have boot camp and use Windows, very odd! And this only depends if you "want" to SLI two cards.

As for the price of the card! YES they are not cheap! But if your like me, didn't have the cash right ther and then, I looked around on eBay and I found the ATI x1900 card for £45. I wasn't to sure if I should but I did! The card works GREAT :D! Hears a link for one ATI RADEON X1900 512 MB CROSSFIRE MASTER GRAPHICS CARD on eBay, also Graphics Video Cards, Graphics, Video TV Cards, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 25-Jan-09 14:42:45 GMT)

So if you dont mind buying 2nd hand? This would be a good way to go. I just needed to give in a bit of clean all worked great! But one thing to note. The noise of the fan on this card, was NOT good! So after kating the fan apart and giving the fins a really good clean, Ithought that would do the trick, it did not :(. SO! I baught this! Arctic Cooling Super Cheap, and OMG it works SO well, it droped the temp of the GPU by a masive 15c!! And is almost 100% slient!!!! And its SUPER cheap!!!

Well that's all for now! I hope this help my friend?

Have a great day! :D

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
I am jealous you got an MacPro :( you have to send me a picture of your workstation :D

I am going to wait =) I just wanted to know if I could do that, add two graphic cards so I could use four screens, but I "only" want three (we are spoiled in this world :p)
other words, you can do this with no problems? =)
what does SLI means oO

I probably come back with questions then the time come for me to get myself the MacBook (probably lose my GF, if I have one at that time, but... HELLO! I got something that I do what I tell it to do and it's SEXY :D... are you under 18, stop reading this threat, may damage your brain and the way of looking at the opposite sex)

Nice! no, I dont really mind 2nd hand, as long it does what it should do =) I will keep your advice in mind, I really will :D

thanks alot man =)

I will do my best to have a great to, I wish the same to you =)

S

satrop

SLI = Scalable Link Interface.

In "layman" terms. You have to graphics crads linked together, and they dubble the power of the card for use on a single screen. The only real use for this is for gaming, I haven't tryed this yet as I do have boot camp on my pro so I can SLI two cards in Windows. AND THIS IS ALL I USE WINDOWS FOR!!!! And only because there are more games out for PC and they are cheaper.

I will be glad to send you some pictures of my set up. But it will have to be after I move, because I've packed up my Pro and I'm on the 22" or the 24" iMac (22" is my wife's and the 24" is my folks), I'm moving in two weeks. I do have some pictures of the upgrades I made, installing my ATX X1900, installing my eSATA card and installing the cooler on the ATI card. If you want to have a look at them? But until I get into the new place I won't have any pictures up of my Pro. I'll set a reminder to take pictures on my iPhone.

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
HAHA! sounds wicked :D try it out and tell me if you feel any different in the graphics =) I am not much for a gamer oO Would like to have an PS3, but saves the money for an MacPro instead =)

so, if I got two graphic cards and can have two monitors on each, I can ÜBER boost two screens? oO

Nice :D send me all you got! would be really nice to see the changes you made =)

S

satrop

Yes you can have two screen on each, but by "UBER" boost do you mean speed up the graphics power of the cards? If so then no not in a Mac Pro, I know the MB (Mother Board) doesn't support SLI. But, again you can, ONLY when you boot into windows no the Mac.

I'll send you the pic's when I get home form work!

S

satrop

If you don't mind I can send you all the pictures to your email, doing it that way is easyer than uploading them to a server and then pointing this thread to them.

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
now I understand, me slow! I blame on the fact that I'am 75% Swedish and 25% German :p
Would be cool, but not necessary if Mac could support that

May I ask what you work with =)

I send you a Private Message =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
satrop said:

Apple's newest 24" LED display uses mini-displayport only. All the other cinema displays use regular DVI.

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
Apple's newest 24" LED display uses mini-displayport only. All the other cinema displays use regular DVI.

that sucks oO but as I said, think Apples Displays is over priced, looks really good and I really want two for my MacPro, but the price tag makes me a bit sick oO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
It is a shame how you can't hook up the new LED display to the Pro's. Still, wouldn't buy one anyway as they've got the glossy screen which I can't stand.

I've ordered my 'dream' machine from the Apple store the other day. Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz 8-core, 2Gb (to be upgraded LOL), 8800GT, Airport Express, 320Gb, BT mouse and keyboard bla bla bla.

Also added the 30" cinema display to go with it. Wouldn't say the monitors are overpriced, they're expensive but as you know you pay for quality and design.

Arrives Feb 5th (8 days BTO), so I'll let you know how I find it compared to my last PowerMac G5 (dual 2.7GHz, 2.5Gb).

Probably wise to wait on the refresh, but unlike a iMac you can upgrade it later with the new GPU so you can bear that in mind.

HTH.

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
It is a shame how you can't hook up the new LED display to the Pro's. Still, wouldn't buy one anyway as they've got the glossy screen which I can't stand.

I've ordered my 'dream' machine from the Apple store the other day. Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz 8-core, 2Gb (to be upgraded LOL), 8800GT, Airport Express, 320Gb, BT mouse and keyboard bla bla bla.

Also added the 30" cinema display to go with it. Wouldn't say the monitors are overpriced, they're expensive but as you know you pay for quality and design.

Arrives Feb 5th (8 days BTO), so I'll let you know how I find it compared to my last PowerMac G5 (dual 2.7GHz, 2.5Gb).

Probably wise to wait on the refresh, but unlike a iMac you can upgrade it later with the new GPU so you can bear that in mind.

HTH.

Hay! thats my computer! :D you buy RAM, Hard drives separately =) much cheaper!
30inch... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hay! thats my computer! :D you buy RAM, Hard drives separately =) much cheaper!
30inch... :D

Exactly right on the RAM and HDD! £170 for 1TB from apple, £80 from Scan. £400+ for 4Gb RAM from apple, just over £100 for 4Gb from Crucial. Kinda simple choice isn't it?! :D

I'm more looking forward to the monitor to be honest, can't wait to get used to something that big. Make every other monitor I use seem tiny. :D

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
Indeed :D wonder why apple does that oO people are not dumb (or, many are, but thats details :D)

You have to give us some nice pictures when you got your computer up and running :D or even when your unpacking :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to give us some nice pictures when you got your computer up and running :D or even when your unpacking :D

Will do, I'll get some unboxing and setup pics. 14 more days to go tho. :Grimmace:

OP
HeroBiX
Reaction score
ouch! that sucks! but, when you get it, I know someone be very happy ;)

another question right up in the air, if you got two drives on an MacPro, how do you open them separately?
Got a friend with an MacPro, and I asked him that same question... you use your "eject" key on the keyboard, but... I dont see that you will get 2 when you buy an MacPro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.